Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmrut99

Reaction score
This is only my second batch. I purchased the brewers best American cream ale. I put my beer in the primary last Friday. The directions say that fermentation will take between 4-6 days. My airlock is barely moving. I was wondering if it would be ok to bottle tonight. I will be out of town for a few days.i need to get it bottled up.

An airlock isn't a great indicator of fermentation....do you have a hydrometer. If it is at final gravity, then go ahead and bottle. Yeast don't pay attention to time frames...the only way to know for sure if it is finished fermenting is to see if it has reached FG.

No, you can't bottle tonight. Leave the beer in primary for at least two weeks before you touch it. Six days is WAY, WAY too soon.

^^^ +1, this. Likely needs at least 10 - 14 days. Wait till you get back then check gravity, wait a couple days, check gravity again, then if stable, bottle.

Thanks guys. Didn't mean to insult you. Lol! I was just making sure. When I brewed the batch dummy me didn't take an OG reading. So now I just wait.

You don't necessarily need an OG. I would assume it is an extract kit, in which case, whatever the kit OG is likely what you have. FG should be somewhere between 1.01 - 1.015 I would guess. As long as it is in that range and stable, you're good.

EDIT: According to that kit you should hit somewhere between 1.01 - 1.014. And for reference, your OG was likely between 1.049 - 1.053

No one's insulted :mug: We've all been new brewers and we know how easy it is to get impatient.

I forgot to take an OG reading on a recent batch too.

Just give it a couple weeks and let the yeast finish up. Ignore whatever instructions come with the kit, I can't possibly imagine why reputable homebrew retailers are still providing those obsolete instructions with kits still.

No insults at all...Yes...kit instructions suck! 2 weeks is a good time frame (gives the yeasts a chance to clean up any byproducts),and I heartily suggest you purchase a hydrometer if you don't own one...best $5-7 you can spend as a new brewer...

Just give it a couple weeks and let the yeast finish up. Ignore whatever instructions come with the kit, I can't possibly imagine why reputable homebrew retailers are still providing those obsolete instructions with kits still.

Quicker you get one batch done, the quicker they can sell another.

Thanks for all your help guys. I have a hydrometer but just forgot to take the reading. I actually have a refractometer too that I am going to try. I use the refractometers for my reef tanks. You guys have been super helpful. Guess that is where I failed in my first batch. Bottled per what the instructions said and it had a lot of off flavors.

Thanks for all your help guys. I have a hydrometer but just forgot to take the reading. I actually have a refractometer too that I am going to try. I use the refractometers for my reef tanks. You guys have been super helpful. Guess that is where I failed in my first batch. Bottled per what the instructions said and it had a lot of off flavors.

Unless you have an OG reading, your refractometer will not be useful in this situation to give you an accurate gravity reading. Once the beer has fermented, there is alcohol present which throws off the refractometer reading. Even with the online calculators, you need to have a SG reading to plug in for the calculator to convert correctly to an FG with the refractometer. Your going to have to use a hydrometer for this.

Just as people have said, 2 weeks is a good minimum for bottling or racking as needed. A week longer will also give more time for particulates and proteins to fall out to the bottom but isn't completely necessary. But, the best way is to have a consistent gravity reading for 3 or so consecutive days. If you rack too early, you could risk bottle bombs to be mindful of that too.

Good luck!

Don't forget to consider cold crashing that bad boy for a day or two before bottling.

Your right...it is not necessary....BUT I do this for a whole week after primary fermentation is done and get crystal clear beer!!! I know some brewers are not that worried about clear beer, but for me, it's part of the satisfaction of the whole experience. If you've the space, DO THIS :rockin:

One more question guys. I may have made a terrible newb mistake. I don't have a basement to put my carboy in. I had to ferment at room temps 72-73. During the aggressive stage of fermentation the beer temp go up to 76 degrees :0 Did I destroy this batch? Th kit came with a Nottingham yeast.

The yeast strain is 57 - 70. You didn't destroy it, but it may have some off flavors like esters and fusel alcohols, but it may not be too bad. Definitely let it ride and worst case you'll learn what those flavors taste like and know how to prevent them in the future and point them out for the benefit of others.

Doesn't take a lot of space, but a swamp cooler, will be a huge benefit as well. A rope tub from walmart and some frozen water bottles.

When people refer to off flavors, does that mean the beer is gonna taste like Milwaukee's Best Ice :( lol. Just kidding, will it be drinkable? Or does off flavors mean like a bad pungent flavor. I have no clue what ester tastes like. Also, can you give me more info on the swamp cooler?

the flaw that you'll most often pick up from high fermentation temps are the fusel alcohols, which will have a bit of a rubbing alcohol taste. Also, higher ferm temps produce excessive esters, so the beer might take on some fruity flavors.

To simplify that article, all you need is a rope tub (~$5 at Walmart) or rubbermaid bin that the bucket or carboy will fit in, add some water and some frozen water bottles. Change them out to keep the temp down.

Latest posts

Back