Fermentation puzzle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talkin

Reaction score
I've been brewing AG for about a year with the help of threads on this forum. I now have a dozen or so batches under my belt (literally). My last two batches have thrown up a sluggish fermentation puzzle that has me stumped, so I figured I'd hazard a first post.

After a few SMASH batches aimed at hop flavour, my last two batches have been aimed at malt flavour. The grain bill for both was roughly 80% Maris Otter pale, 10% Caramunich II and 10% melanoidin. Way overboard on the speciality malts I know, but I like to learn from my own experiments!

I mashed both batches at 152F to produce a starting gravity of 1.046. The first I fermented with WLP005 (Ringwood), the second with Wyeast 2112 (California lager). In both cases I oxygenated the wort for 60 seconds using oxygen and an aquarium stone and pitched a starter made to Mr Malty's instructions. I fermented both at 65F from the off. Assuming 70% attenuation (which I have achieved comfortably with both these yeasts before), my target FG was 1.014.

Now here is the puzzle. In both cases I had really sluggish fermentations that gave up at the 1.020 mark, even after I roused the yeast by gentle stirring and upping the temperature to 68F. By my calculation, that is a lacklustre 56% attenuation.

I appreciate that this is not the worst home brewing disaster in the world. Both batches taste OKish, if a little sickly. But I am puzzled that both behaved the same way despite the very different yeasts. I am wondering whether this might be the 20% speciality malts. Could this be the explanation? And if so why?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

It might be due to the specialty malts. Those have more unfermentable sugars. Use fewer specialty malts, and see if that helps.

Welcome to your 1st post- it's a conundrum. It reads like you have covered the usual suspects and are doing things properly.
So, what I would do next is double check my mash thermometer. Is it accurate or could it have gone out of whack and be running 5 or 6 degrees higher?
The 2nd Q I have is how you are measuring your fermentation temp. Environmental or actual beer temp? And how accurate might that thermometer be?

Were your initial readings taken at the correct temperature for your hydrometer?

Im guessing you know about this already or im sure you would have come across problems earlier.

That is odd, and I don't think the grain bill is the culprit. I will say that if you're trying to rouse sluggish yeast to finish up, that 68F is not a big kick in the pants. Try 75F at that point - fermentation is mostly done; you're not going to get unpleasant flavors due to the high temp. It has certainly worked for me a couple of times to finish up a beer.

I second the recommendation to calibrate your thermometer(s).

Thanks for all the input.

I spotted during the second batch that my thermometer has drifted to 101C in boiling wort, so I guess (if anything) the mash temperature was slightly lower than reported.

With the hydrometer, I always let hot wort cool a bit, measure the temperature, take a reading, then use an online tool to do the temperature correction (after believing I was getting efficiency in the 40s on my first few efforts!). For the samples during fermentation I tend not to bother because a few degrees from 20C seems to make no difference.

For fermentation temperature, I strap the probe to the carboy behind a couple of thicknesses of closed cell foam (one of the many things I learned on here). But I haven't calibrated the probe since I got the controller, so that could be the problem.

Again, thanks for pondering this. I'll definitely calibrate my thermometers before my next effort and, if it is still happening, have a go at a higher temperature to rouse the yeast. And next time I won't be using 20% specialty malts come what may!

Back