Fermentation overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcmb

Novice Brewer.....Thanks to Covid
Reaction score
My fermenter is over flowing. I tried to rig up a Blow off tube. But i can’t seem to get the hose to stay in the airlock. I read somewhere to put a piece of foil over the hole but that doesn’t seem right. Can I get any thoughts or ideas ?

Are you using a standard bucket with a red grommet? I usually just stick a piece of tubing in there and run it into a bottle filled with sanitizer. Can't remember thr tubing size though sorry.

I’m using a fermonster with an s airlock

I had almost 5 gallons in a 6 gallons carboy
I dont have temp control. The room is around 68-72 f

Headspace is reasonable, but at that room temperature your wort is likely sizzling along around 75-78°F or higher.
That temperature for pretty much any strain will encourage the yeast to go crazy.
If there's any way to knock five degrees off that (even playing a box fan on a wet tee shirt placed over the carboy) you might want to give it a try...

Cheers!

I usually use a glass carboy. This is my first time using the plastic and I also put it in a different room in the house than I Usually do since people were staying with us for the weekend. Do you think the plastic is keeping it hotter vs the glass one I usually use

I don't think there'd be a significant difference. The glass might be a bit thicker but glass is typically a bit better thermal conductor, so they're likely not very different. If this is running warmer than usual it's more likely the less favorable location.

The "swamp cooler" technique does work if you can manage it.

It's always a challenge to do uncontrolled fermentation, which is why that's usually the first recommendation given to those getting going in the hobby as the thing with the most benefit to brewing.

Cheers!

someone gave me a hard time about bitching about my leaky fermenters, and posted this......

so along those lines just pull it and wash it every day and put it back in.....

I moved it to the bathtub and wrapped in a cold towel over night. I checked it again before bed and replaced the airlock again. Everything seems to be normal this am.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Back