Fermentation options for 10 gallon brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgs47

Reaction score
I have been brewing 5 gallon batches for a while now and am thinking of getting a larger kettle and moving up to 10 gallons batches. My concerns are:

1. I use a 5 Cubic Foot chest freezer with temp control for fermentation. I can't fit 2 carboys or buckets in there. What do you guys ferment 10 gallon batches in?

2. I use a 25 foot copper chiller. Will I also have to upgrade this?

3. Is there anything else I am missing that I would have to upgrade? I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun, that would work for lower and standard gravity beers. I also use a 3000 ml flask for starters so I think it would be good for ales.

4. Is this worth the jump?

I have been brewing 5 gallon batches for a while now and am thinking of getting a larger kettle and moving up to 10 gallons batches. My concerns are:

1. I use a 5 Cubic Foot chest freezer with temp control for fermentation. I can't fit 2 carboys or buckets in there. What do you guys ferment 10 gallon batches in?

2. I use a 25 foot copper chiller. Will I also have to upgrade this?

3. Is there anything else I am missing that I would have to upgrade? I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun, that would work for lower and standard gravity beers. I also use a 3000 ml flask for starters so I think it would be good for ales.

1:I'd look into a son of fermentation chamber.
2: you don't have to but it's gonna take forever to bring your temps down. I would go bigger.
3:you should be ok to go
4: yes absolutely, it takes almost the same amount of time and effort to brew 10 gallons vs 5 and you get double the result.

I use a 15 gallon corny. This would require that you add casters and a 12" collar to your 5' chest freezer. Put it in there empty, and pump beer into it. CO2 to transfer to serving kegs.

VxQXTCiOy5QUFAzqDHvN60phHRvtx_WZ9W-u41xDRIM=w496-h844-no

I use a 60L speidel fermenter 15.75in Diameter x 24in Height (w/out airlock in place). Plenty of headspace.
I use a plate chiller, I didn't like the immersion chiller with my water temps for even a 5 gallon batch.
So far my basement stays cool enough, that I can control temp with a water bath or a reptile mat under the fermenter (wrapped in insulated blanket). I like the 10 gallon batch every once in a while to help build the pipeline

I have an older 1/2 keg that I ferment 12.5 gallon batches in. I siphon into corny kegs.
So cooling that much, bigger brew kettle, moving half kegs around to me adds a lot to brew day.

I was looking at the Speidel fermenters (which is why I posted). My concern was lifting them out. 5 gallons is heavy enough. I have a pump, but would have to prime and attach a hose to the spout on the fermenter at the bottom of the chest freezer. The 15 gallon corny keg is a great option, but I would hate to have to build a collar again (I built one for my Keezer). I could raise the chest freezer and auto siphon from the Speidel. I also thought of looking for a 12 gallon plastic bucket and drilling a hole for a bubblier.

A good handle really does help. I don't enjoy carrying around a 10 gallon batch in the speidel, but the handles are sturdy. No fear of dropping

How fast your 5 gallon batches disappear.
How much you like/dislike the brewing process
Would you rather have variety or a more of the same beer.

I like having 4 unique 5-gallon kegs on tap with 2 batches finishing up waiting for kicked keg. I like a keg to last at least 2 months, but no more than 3.

Even though I prefer 5 gallon batches, I do like having the option to brew 12 gallons if I ever wanted to, but I wouldn't upgrade everything just to make 5 more gallons. I would upgrade with 20 gallon batches in mind and have 2 sets of equipment.

What's the interior dimensions of your chest freezer?

A good handle really does help. I don't enjoy carrying around a 10 gallon batch in the speidel, but the handles are sturdy. No fear of dropping

This is why I'm surprised that 2, 6 gallon ale-pails have not been mentioned. No reason why you need a larger fermenter like the Spiedel, just split the batch. You could also mix/match yeasts or dry hops if you were so inclined. Can't beat the bail handle on them either.

It is my plan to use ale pails for 10 gallon batches, after building a collar for my 5 cu. ft. chest freezer. I'd also build a spacer so I can stack one on top of the other but still be able to leave headspace above the fermenter for blow-off/airlock. One of these days...

Back