Fermentation - No Activity 4 days - Gravity Same

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFreeman

Reaction score
Hi,

So I tried my third batch, using a coopers irish stout, 1kg of DME and some golding hops. I experimented with extra ingredients were as before I was just doing kits.

I brewed it on Sunday, today is Thursday and I have noticed 0 activity, no krausen and ended up taking a gravity reading which is the same as the OG 1055.

What could it have been? Expired yeast?

I am fermenting at 18C

Even if the yeast was expired, dry yeast will last a long time. What temps were the yeast stored at? What temp was the wort when you pitched the yeast? Did you rehydrate the yeast, if so at what temp? Something happened somewhere along the line that killed your yeast.

Just an update guys,

I basically as a last effort I re shacked the hell out of my fermentor to introduce more oxygen, and I raised my temperature by 1 celsius.

And amazingly enough it started, what could it have been? Lack of oxygen, low temp or both? Is it possible that with lack of oxygen it did not start?

Just an update guys,

I basically as a last effort I re shacked the hell out of my fermentor to introduce more oxygen, and I raised my temperature by 1 celsius.

And amazingly enough it started, what could it have been? Lack of oxygen, low temp or both? Is it possible that with lack of oxygen it did not start?

1 degree celsius isn't going to make a significant difference. My guess was a lack of O2 or older yeast that needed some encouragement. I've never had a beer take that long to ferment though. Maybe try a different yeast supplier. I didn't see any info on what yeast you used. You only mentioned the DME and hops.

I used the packages yeast with the Coopers Irish Stout. Its still bubbling so activity, both of my first batches started instantly I was also very surprised that just by introducing more oxygen the yeast started!

Back