Fermentation longevity and wort temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am currently brewing my 1st batch of beer and 2 question have arose. I boiled 1.5 gallons and made the worst, but did NOT cool it down with ice as most brewers suggest. This is a octoberst batch. anyway I let the worst sit for about 10 minutes after the boil and then dumped it into 3.5 gallons of room temp water. I figured that would cool down the wort. I then pitched the yeast about 15 minutes later without testing the temp. also when the fermenting (activety in the container) started in the 6 gallon jug, it only lasted about 16 hours, then all activety ceased. Can you advise if I did something wrong? thanks

It was probably still pretty warm when you pitched the yeast. If it fermented you didn't kill them. It was probably pretty warm and the yeast got excited... they can work fast under such circumstances. The beer will probably be pretty high in fruity esters, but it won't be ruined or anything. Give it some time to sit and let the yeast do their best to clean up after themselves.

Next time, either chill the wort or use pre-refrigerated water to get it cool before you pitch. When the yeast are in a cooler environment (pretty much in the 60s for an ale yeast) they tend to make a cleaner beer.

It was probably still pretty warm when you pitched the yeast. If it fermented you didn't kill them. It was probably pretty warm and the yeast got excited... they can work fast under such circumstances. The beer will probably be pretty high in fruity esters, but it won't be ruined or anything. Give it some time to sit and let the yeast do their best to clean up after themselves.

Next time, either chill the wort or use pre-refrigerated water to get it cool before you pitch. When the yeast are in a cooler environment (pretty much in the 60s for an ale yeast) they tend to make a cleaner beer.

thanks for your imput... This aleviates some of my concern, I will have to wait and see how my 1st batch turns out and will iron out the wrinkles when I do the 2nd batch.

Back