Fermentation length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I tend to make a lot of strong ales (weizenbocks, stouts, scotch ales, Belgian quads). Most of the time the recipes I find recommend 4-6 weeks in the fermenter. I’ve been reading lately that most ales don’t need that long. I do only use a primary fermenter, then go straight to kegging. Would it be better to leave in primary for more 2-3 weeks, then cold crash in keg for 1 week?

It really depends on the recipe, yeast, fermentation temp. and schedule and your own process. But even higher ABV beers, don't really need 6 weeks, unless you are adding adjuncts like cocoa/coffee beans, vanilla, coconut, wood chips/spirals, fruit, etc. which do need to stay in contact with the beer, a bit longer. But otherwise, give any beer 14 days in the fermenter and, if able to check gravity without introducing (too) much O2 in the fermenter, check gravity. Then check again in 4-5 days and if stable, you can transfer to keg, carbonate/condition and serve when ready.

Back