Fermentation in refrigeration chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juaniarribere

Reaction score
Hello everybody, this is my first thread, I´ve been brewing as a hobby for almost a year (20L batches), but now I want to go a bit bigger, 100L batches, to start a tiny micro-brewery. The thing is that for these batches I will need bigger fermentors, and better cooling equipments, which I do not have, so I rented a small place with a refrigeration chamber where I can set the temperature (and put 100L fermentors in). My problem is, that I think I will not be able to let the beer rest at a low temperature (3 to 4 celsius) after the primary fermentation, as I would have to change the temp of the chamber after 4 o 5 days, every week (or every 10 days).

That said, my question is as follows: is it a bad idea to ferment my wort at the temperature indicated for each recipe and yeast, let´s say for example 20C (68F), then drain the yeast that has gone to the bottom of the fermentor after the primary fermentation, and then let it rest again, in the same fermenter, for some more days, at the same temperature? so that I do not have to switch neither the temp of the chamber, nor the fermentr.
I know that the cold crash and/or lagering would help with clarification, but I do not seem to have much choice. I was thinking of pouring some gelatin two days before kegging. Could this help?

My main issue is that I do not know if skipping the aging in cold of the beer, will make its flavour change or be a worse product. Always speaking about ALES.

I hope someone can help me with this, thanks a lot in advance!

Juan Ignacio, Neuquén, Argentina

Aging at fermentation temps is all I've ever done and my beer turns out just fine, if I do say so myself. I use gelatin as a fining and I add it after the beer is at SERVING temperature. It is much more effective in beer that has already formed its chill haze before the gelatin is added, whether that's in the fermentor or keg is up to you. Cheers!

Aging at fermentation temps is all I've ever done and my beer turns out just fine, if I do say so myself. I use gelatin as a fining and I add it after the beer is at SERVING temperature. It is much more effective in beer that has already formed its chill haze before the gelatin is added, whether that's in the fermentor or keg is up to you. Cheers!

thank you very much!!

Latest posts

Back