Fermentation in blowoff bottle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hey all,

So, this is a new one on me. I'm fermenting a Belgian tripel, with a blowoff tube running into a gallon jug about three-quarters full of water. Fermentation was so vigorous that it filled the jug with gunk.

Then the blowoff jug started fermenting. It's at high krausen now. I guess that's one way to top crop Belgian yeast!

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Yup, if your carboy is too full you will take wort up the blow off with the yeast and then it will ferment in the blow off jar.

yeah i've seen it on some crazy fermentations. there's people on here that have made a kind of homebrew version of a burton union system so they could top crop that way.

yep that's the article. if i were cooler i would have thought to put the link up for you in my first post but unfortunately i suck

yep that's the article. if i were cooler i would have thought to put the link up for you in my first post but unfortunately i suck

That's all right, Jester, you contribute in other ways. That plating yeast article was excellent.

Latest posts

Back