Fermentation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marchio-93

Reaction score
Hello everybody, first fermentation in keg. Actually I'm fermenting in a keg with a blow-off tube, during cold crash I'm gonna put 2-3 PSI, then I'm gonna referment in bottles. Question is: when can I take off my blow off tube? At the end of fermentation or a little before? And from the moment I take off to the moment I cold crash, can I just close the keg whitout Co2 attached?

Sorry for my bad English, I write from Italy

Disclaimer: I don't ferment in kegs. I do think I understand the question. Unless you have a spunding valve, or a very good idea on your FG and the timing of your fermentation, I don't think that sealing the keg prior to FG would be a good thing, especially since you are going to bottle carb ("referment"?).

If you wait until FG, remove your blowoff, then pressurize to 3 PSI and cold crash, you should be fine. Cornies shouldn't collapse with a vacuum but can suck in air (O2) if there's not enough head pressure during cold crash. 3 psi should be fine. You can remove the CO2 after pressurizing. It won't hurt to keep it attached.

Latest posts

Back