Fermentation Heating/Cooling Advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaDon

Reaction score
I need some advise on heating and/or cooling my fermenter. I'm in Reno, NV with 100 degree summer days and 0 degree winter days, my garage is not insulated and the way my house sits it could be 35 degrees in there on a winter morning and 50 degrees in there by mid-afternoon because of the sun. There is no more room in the garage to add another (even small) refrigerator. For those of you unaware of Reno weather (we are a high desert) we can have 45-50 degree temperature swings during the day summer or winter. Currently I boil in the garage, rack to my Catalyst Conical and place it in our hall bath. Works great for Ales (stays between 60 and 68 year around) but I would like to do some Lagers. My budget <$200.00. Any thoughts and thanks in advance.

Inkbird + Fermwrap may get you lagers during the cold months.

Without an insulated space of some kind for your fermenters, you will likely need to keep close watch.

I will also throw out the “warm lager” method as an option. W34/70 is a great yeast choice for this. See:
http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

Last edited:
PapaDon, I dont know how much space you have . I'm kind of in same situation. I have a limited space as well. I have a jacket for my fast ferment. I hang frozen water bottles inside . Has a zipper and keeps it pretty cool . It's just a pain to swap out bottles . I've decide to do the DIY gylcol chiller using a small window ac . The window ac I got is much smaller then a small 7cu ft freezer .

Latest posts

Back