Fermentation heating controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB_Brewing2

Reaction score
In Michigan my shop temps drop to 40F in the winter. In order to control fermentation temps, my goal is to build a controller for a 120V electric heating element (https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/element2000.htm) installed in a 15 gallon SS conical. I like the Auber DSPR1 (http://auberins.com/images/Manual/DSPR1 manual_V1.pdf) for control as it will allow me to set a small percentage (2-3%) of power to avoid scorching. This in turn would be connected to an electronic temperature controller (http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=334) connected to the thermowell on the conical. I've seen 240V digital power controllers that are quite expensive, but I need one for fewer dollars in 120V.

I think I need the DSPR1 coupled to an SSR with a heat sink. I've seen the wiring diagram on the Auberin website for this but I must plead ignorance when reading it. I have built an ITC-1000 temp controller for my freezer so I am capable given enough guidance to build something like this. After spending several hours searching I am unable to find a device like this. If anyone is aware of a previous build like this or can offer any guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

After reviewing Auberins schematic for the DSPR1 on 120V, I believe all I have to do is plug that into the temp controller? Then electronic temp controller senses need for heat which triggers the DSPR1 with 25A SSR to supply a set percentage of power to the 1500W element. Planning on using the Auber 16D enclosure which indicates no heat sink is needed for 20A or less and I think the amps from the element is 12.5A.

Couple other questions:

Is fusing required and where?

Will the 1500W element be sufficient to maintain fermentation temps for ales when the DSPR1 is set at 3%?

Please pardon my ignorance. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Heating element sounds like a real pain for fermentation temperature control. Why not some heattape, or a coil on either the outside or inside pumping warm water? Driven by a cheap STC unit.

To add to iijakii's comment -- what if you used a fish tank water heater to keep the water you'd pump through warm?

Heating element sounds like a real pain for fermentation temperature control. Why not some heattape, or a coil on either the outside or inside pumping warm water? Driven by a cheap STC unit.

Thank you and I appreciate your suggestions. The internal heating element actually works quite well. I have a BIAC from Brewha and I currently ferment in that with the heating element going through an electronic temp controller coupled with the Auber dspr1. There have been no ill effects on my brews from that and it may use less electricity and water than a ferm wrap or external coil. Was hoping someone could advise on the intricacies of building a unit similar to the Brewha-supplied digital control box for fewer dollars.

To add to iijakii's comment -- what if you used a fish tank water heater to keep the water you'd pump through warm?

That may be the alternative if I can't safely construct a power controller for the conical fermenter. The fermenter I'm looking at has no jacket so I'd have to attach coils to the outside and wrap that with insulation. Then it is either always on at full power or off when attached to an STC-like unit. Seems there would be more temperature flucuation when heating from the outside with that set-up. ??? My current fermenter uses the heating element set at 2 or 3% providing a seemingly an even heat. Thanks very much for your suggestions.

I am very thankful to you! This is exactly what I was after. Using the SYL-2352 will allow me to forgo purchasing a separate temp controller. Thanks again! :mug:

Back