fermentation has stalled or is just fermenting very slowly. Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razzer195

Reaction score
I opened the FV yesterday and took a gravity reading to see how it's progressing - I was surprised to get a reading of 1030, I had an original gravity of 1048. I was expecting a lower reading than that after its been fermenting for 7 days? It didn't even have a krausen on top.

Anyway iv moved into my airing cupboard now to see if warming it up may trigger the yeast back into action.

Is temperate the reason why my brew has hardly fermented? It was at 12-14 degrees Celsius in my kitchen? And should i just leave it? Or is there anything else you guys could recommend?

Beginning to worry that my first brew will be a complete failure!!

12-14C is a bit too cool for most ale yeasts. 18C would definitely be better for ales. At those cooler temps,many ale yeasts get slow & sluggish.

Warming should help, yes... but don't worry about failure. It's fermenting... so you'll make beer no matter what! :mug: Have patience, man... perhaps even expect 30 days in primary...... but don't give up just because things are progressing a tad slower than you thought they would.

What kind of brew and what yeast? It's possible you are right where you need to be, but my guess would be you are too cool. I second everything the previous 2 posters mentioned.

On the plus side, there are way fewer issues that arise from brewing cool (assuming it IS fermenting, which you have confirmed) than brewing warm.

Back