Fermentation ends early, when to dry hop and/or transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopadd

Reaction score
This is my 3rd brew and each time the fermentation ends after 1 week. Should I be proceeding with dry hopping or transferring at this time or keep the wort on the yeast cake for the full 2 weeks per recipe?

You will find that there are 100 different ways brewers do this. It was a normal thing to rack to a secondary but no more . There are only mishaps instead of gains doing this . I leave my beer alone for 3 weeks . Sometimes a little less but a min of 2 weeks. I dry hop 4 days out from packaging. The initial fermentation is done by 7 days but letting it be allows the yeast to clean up .

If the kits you have been brewing have been giving you good results, my thought would be to continue to follow those instructions.

When you start to experiment with processes, you will want to be able to identify off flavors and understand how those off flavors could be created during the brewing process.

This is my 3rd brew and each time the fermentation ends after 1 week. Should I be proceeding with dry hopping or transferring at this time or keep the wort on the yeast cake for the full 2 weeks per recipe?

Yes. It will depend on your desires. If I am low on beer and want to hurry a batch I might dry hop at one week and bottle on day 10 or 12. If I have lots of beer on hand I might leave the beer in the fermenter for 2 or 3 weeks before I dry hop and if life gets in the way it might be a week or 2 before I bottle. There is no real wrong way as long as your beer has reached final gravity before you bottle.

Yes. It will depend on your desires. If I am low on beer and want to hurry a batch I might dry hop at one week and bottle on day 10 or 12. If I have lots of beer on hand I might leave the beer in the fermenter for 2 or 3 weeks before I dry hop and if life gets in the way it might be a week or 2 before I bottle. There is no real wrong way as long as your beer has reached final gravity before you bottle.

This is the most important consideration. Make sure you are truly at FG if you are bottling. Bottle bombs is the risk if you are not at FG.
At 10 days it is probably done, but nor assuredly. I go a minimum of 14 days. You can work backward from when you want to bottle for the addition of the dry hops. - do that in primary, no need for a secondary unless the hops won't fit without overflow. Some people dry hop while there is still active fermentation. My thought on that is that you would lose aroma with the gasses being expelled from the fermenter. I add the dry hops at the 14 day mark then go about 4 - 7 days. Still experimenting to see if 4 or 7 days makes a difference.

Great info, thx all. I test with iodine first then pull FG, so far so good. Patience is a virtue, but that doesn't include home brewing.... Using 05 with a 1 hop IPA @ 65+- to try and get some peachiness, so more time on the yeast the better (I think)

Great info, thx all. I test with iodine first then pull FG, so far so good. Patience is a virtue, but that doesn't include home brewing.... Using 05 with a 1 hop IPA @ 65+- to try and get some peachiness, so more time on the yeast the better (I think)

Iodine is only used in all grain and it is to determine if you have achieved full conversion. There is no use for iodine once fermentation has started.

To use the iodine for testing conversion you would pull a bit of the grain particles and apply iodine to them. If they still contain starch your iodine will turn blue.

Back