Fermentation done with no Airlock activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whats up gang!

I did two 3 gallon batches of cider, using two different yeast strains and I saw something Ive never seen before when making cider (about 10 batches in).

BOTH showed no activity in the airlock, after a week I decided to just open them up and get a reading. Turns out they both are done. Both started at 1.046 and are sitting at 1.002 and 0.999. I used Redstar Champagne and Nottingham Belle Saison.

I was thinking that it had something to do with both 3 gallon batches being in 6 gallon buckets. I know thats alot of head space but I had nothing else to ferment in. Im not too concerned since they both look and smell fantastic. Was just weirded out.

Thanks in advance!

Yep. You lost the CO2 through a leak in the lid seal. No worries, I have buckets I use all the time which never bubble. It's not like you are going to bulk age in there.

Its odd if that happened on both buckets! I use these buckets alot for primary, especially beers. Should I worry about the quality of the buckets?

Its odd if that happened on both buckets! I use these buckets alot for primary, especially beers. Should I worry about the quality of the buckets?

You can if you want. Or not. I prefer the RDWHAHB attitude better though.

In a nutshell where is what happens:

You mix your wort/must/whatever and add yeast.
Yeast ferment and create alcohol and CO2.
The CO2 builds up creating pressure
The CO2 pressure is released (hopefully) by escaping out the path of least resistance.
The Air is displaced by the CO2, thereby removing Oxygen from the vessel.

If your airlock has a greater resistance to the pressure of the CO2 than the tiny leak, then the CO2 is going to exit the fermentation vessel through the leak.

But the O2 is also being pushed out, and just as importantly, the positive pressure is preventing unwanted bacteria from entering the fermenation vessel. The bacteria can't simply fly UP into the fermentation bucket. They don't fly.

Ah, thanks man. I think it might be my airlocks. They are my old, least favorite ones but all I had not in use. Im not concerned since they are Ciders and Cider has more room for error or off flavors, haha.

Thanks for the input!

Im not concerned since they are Ciders and Cider has more room for error or off flavors, haha.

Ain't that the truth! Wait? was that an insult to cider makers? HEY!!!

I love ciders for being able to just toss some yeast into apple juice and just let it sit there. No mashing, no sparging no diacetyl rests, no esters, no chill haze, no skunky hops, not to mention no hop additions to keep up with ;) And after all of that...I still love making beer too.

I experienced this a few time when I brewed in a bucket primary.

The o ring seal surface in a bucket is huge and not always perfect or airtight.
A stopper in a carboy neck is a much smaller area to seal and is usually more easily done.

As others mentioned, even if the bucket lid seal is less than perfect, you are still maintaining a positive CO2 pressure inside the bucket while fermentation is active.

Ain't that the truth! Wait? was that an insult to cider makers? HEY!!!

I love ciders for being able to just toss some yeast into apple juice and just let it sit there. No mashing, no sparging no diacetyl rests, no esters, no chill haze, no skunky hops, not to mention no hop additions to keep up with ;) And after all of that...I still love making beer too.

Yup, beer to me is more about the process, while wine and cider are more about the end result! :)

Back