Fermentation done after 1 week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyT

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still new to homebrewing, I've made 5 beers, this is my 6th. Two of those have come out drinkable, haha.

Anyway, I got a Milk Stout kit from my local shop, it's a Brewer's Best kit. I also got the FastFerment conical to try out and help make things a little easier process wise.

I started everything last week on 1/10/15.

I used Wyeast 1056 instead of the included dry yeast packet. I got this from a similar recipe for a Milk Stout online.

When I pitched the yeast I had an OG of 1.052, a little below the box's OG of 1.057-1.060. The kit includes specialty grains, so I imagine I didn't steep them well enough to get everything I guess?

Fermentation started within 24 hours no problem, had a very active airlock for two days, then things calmed down. The krausen came and went. Today I cleaned out the collection ball and took a hydrometer reading. I got 1.021. This is within the FG on the box of 1.020-1.024.

I'm not sure if I should leave it in another week, and see what happens, or if it being at 1.021 I should bottle now and let it sit. The temp on the fermenter has been a really consistent 62-68 degrees. I actually have two fermometers on there, the one for the FastFermenter and a stick on one, they both read the same.

Any advice on what I should do? Is this a sign I did something wrong, or is this acceptable? Thanks.

Your fermentation could be complete in one week, but I wouldl still leave in the primary for at least two weeks. I would also take another gravity reading in a day or two and see if the FG is stable.

You may be a FG, let it go at least another week to make sure. Over the next week the particulates suspended by the CO2 will begin dropping out.

My primary times are a minimum of three weeks. (Except for one time I rushed it, 18 days.)

Primary fermentation for ales can occur over a period a couple of days even. That doesn't necessarily mean your beer is done though. I've had beers go from OG to FG over the course of 3 days. In order to make sure you are ready to bottle, you need to take another reading in a few days to make sure your gravity is stabilized. Otherwise you could end up with an over carbed beer or worse...bottle bombs.

Personally, I would leave it for a minimum of 10 days in the primary. Then you can choose to bottle or secondary. The reason behind this is that the yeast, once they have consumed all available sugars, will start to consume some of the bi-products of fermentation. This doesn't affect your gravity, but it will improve the overall flavor of the finished product.

Since this is a stout which is a style that benefits GREATLY from longer conditioning times, I would leave it for a while. Your patience will be rewarded in the end!

You may be a FG, let it go at least another week to make sure. Over the next week the particulates suspended by the CO2 will begin dropping out.

Your fermentation could be complete in one week, but I wouldl still leave in the primary for at least two weeks. I would also take another gravity reading in a day or two and see if the FG is stable.

+1 to both of these. IF the hydrodrometer tells you the beer is at its final gravity ("FG"), then the beer is done fermenting the sugars and you may have good beer. However, if you let it go, the yeast will eat what's left (by-products, yeast poop, whathaveyou), and you will have better beer.

Patience is difficult, especially for new brewers. The instructions with the kits are designed to get us excited about being done in a week, and not to mention get us to buy more kits. Oh, I did mention that. Oopsies.

Keep it at the proper temp and leave it in the bucket for a min of 2-3 weeks and your beers will improve.

In the meantime, you can read this and your next 6 of 6 will be drinkable: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/02/11-mistakes-every-new-homebrewer-makes.html

RDWHAHB,

Wolf

Hi,

I'm still new to homebrewing, I've made 5 beers, this is my 6th. Two of those have come out drinkable, haha.

Anyway, I got a Milk Stout kit from my local shop, it's a Brewer's Best kit. I also got the FastFerment conical to try out and help make things a little easier process wise.

I started everything last week on 1/10/15.

I used Wyeast 1056 instead of the included dry yeast packet. I got this from a similar recipe for a Milk Stout online.

When I pitched the yeast I had an OG of 1.052, a little below the box's OG of 1.057-1.060. The kit includes specialty grains, so I imagine I didn't steep them well enough to get everything I guess?

Fermentation started within 24 hours no problem, had a very active airlock for two days, then things calmed down. The krausen came and went. Today I cleaned out the collection ball and took a hydrometer reading. I got 1.021. This is within the FG on the box of 1.020-1.024.

I'm not sure if I should leave it in another week, and see what happens, or if it being at 1.021 I should bottle now and let it sit. The temp on the fermenter has been a really consistent 62-68 degrees. I actually have two fermometers on there, the one for the FastFermenter and a stick on one, they both read the same.

Any advice on what I should do? Is this a sign I did something wrong, or is this acceptable? Thanks.

Everything sounds normal and as if you've done everything right. Bottling after only a week might be asking for trouble, like bottle bombs. General rule of thumb is to leave it in primary for at least 2-3 weeks, not only to insure a complete fermentation but to let the yeast clean up and allow the beer to clear. Regardless of the style, I don't take a hydrometer reading until 2 weeks, let it sit another couple days and take another. If they're the same, I'll let it go another day or so and take another reading just to be sure. Time and patience are your best friends in brewing.

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the gravity yesterday, still stable at 1.021. I was going to bottle this weekend, it will be 14 days in the fermenter at this point, but based on the suggestions I am going to leave it one more week before I bottle.

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the gravity yesterday, still stable at 1.021. I was going to bottle this weekend, it will be 14 days in the fermenter at this point, but based on the suggestions I am going to leave it one more week before I bottle.

At this point I'd say your gravity is stable and you would be fine to bottle it. The only reason for leaving it any longer would be for conditioning. If it were me (which it's not) I would bottle it up this weekend and condition in the bottles. Taste one after 2 weeks or so and see what you think. If the flavor isn't where you want it, let it age for a while longer and taste again.

Your beer, particularly this style, will develop a different flavor profile over time. The harshness from the roasted grains will mellow out as well as the bitterness. As long as you are diligent and minimize oxygen exposure you should end up with a great beer. 1.021 would be a little on the sweet side, but for the style that is perfectly acceptable.

At this point I'd say your gravity is stable and you would be fine to bottle it. The only reason for leaving it any longer would be for conditioning. If it were me (which it's not) I would bottle it up this weekend and condition in the bottles. Taste one after 2 weeks or so and see what you think. If the flavor isn't where you want it, let it age for a while longer and taste again.

Your beer, particularly this style, will develop a different flavor profile over time. The harshness from the roasted grains will mellow out as well as the bitterness. As long as you are diligent and minimize oxygen exposure you should end up with a great beer. 1.021 would be a little on the sweet side, but for the style that is perfectly acceptable.

Yes, me too. If it's done at two weeks, it's ready to bottle as long as it's fairly clear. It's hard to see if a dark beer is clear, but there shouldn't be any suspended solids or lots of yeast in it at this point. If there is, it could benefit from sitting a bit longer but if it's clearing, I'd bottle it and let it age in the bottle off of the trub and out of the bucket with the wide headspace.

if it's done, it's not going to be 'doner' than it is now.

Agreed. I typically give a beer 3-7 days after FG is reached to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. Whatever amount of time that actually takes. I had a batch of ESB finish & settle out clear in 10 days recently. The 3-7 day bit is from observations a couple years ago to see how long this clean up & settle out actually took, just FYI.

Latest posts

Back