Fermentation did not pick up after adding fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipr

Reaction score
Hello all-
Brewing a Saison with some wild raspberries. They were frozen, so I let them thaw. Added them to the bottom of a clean carboy, and then siphoned the beer over the top of them. 24 hours later, there doesn't seem to be any activity, and the raspberries are just floating on the top. Can it take a while for the fermentation to get going again? Anything I can do to encourage it?

Details:
2.5 gallons of beer
1.25 lbs raspberries
WLP585 Belgian Saison Yeast III
kept in a water bath at 74 degrees
Added raspberries 8 days into fermentation (primary fermentation seemed to go for quite a while.)

Did you mash the fruit?

You may not see signs of vigorous fermentation anyways so don't sweat it. But plan on giving it some time.

(side note, i'd consider adding more fruit... like 1 lb/gal)

I didn't specifically mash it, but when I froze it, most of the raspberries exploded and it became a mix of berries and juice.

From what I've read you really don't want a lot of fermentation from your fruit as it will just make more alcohol and less fruit flavor. No expert it's just what I read. When I did a mango beer I puréed the frozen mango added to secondary them racked beer on top of that. Fruit floated for a week then sank to the bottom. Bottled after 2 weeks in secondary and got a very nice fruit flavor.

Does gravity affect gravity? Would all beer be lite on the moon?

1.25lbs of raspberries doesn't have much sugar in it. Maybe 30 grams. This could easily ferment without you noticing.

Back