Fermentation complication

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoadie527

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm pretty new to brewing (Have brewed a couple of single gallon batches of Ale and Cider) and have finally tried to move up to a 5 gallon batch. I'm trying to make a cream ale, and read somewhere that it might be a good idea to use Lager Yeast.
So I bought a packet of S-23 yeast, did my thing, pitched it in when it was about room temperature (maybe 65F), stirred it and let it do it's thing.

Where I live, it drops down to about 40 degrees at night this time of year, so I figured I was good. Unfortunately, a heat wave came in and it was 90 degrees for a day and a half before dropping down to about 65/45.

I pitched the yeast about 9 days ago, and there has been only a tiny bit of activity, so I pitched in another yeast packet about 4 days ago, and still, little to no visible fermentation.

Is my brew salvageable? (Picture included)

20130916_171208.jpg

What was your OG? What is the gravity now? That's the only way to know what's going on fermentation-wise.

yep, you are just guessing if you are trying to determine whether you have active fermentation without gravity readings. Are you using a hydrometer?

Your picture seems to show a krausen ring in the upper-right and lower-right corners of the photo which would indicate fermentation has occurred. Additionally, the surface of your brew looks like my beers when they are off-gassing. I'm guessing that due to your high heat and use of lager yeast (at high heats) that fermentation took place VERY quickly in such a lower gravity beer (it might have taken place that quick in a moderate gravity beer as well at those temps). You may as well pull a sample and get a FG reading and taste it too.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, appreciate it.

So I took a sample this morning, it tasted fine (Although i'm far from a beer expert), and the gravity reading was between 1.006-1.008

Like I said before, I never took an original reading, but i'm sure it should be more than 1.008, so does this mean it's already gone through it's primary fermentation?

Thanks for the quick replies everyone, appreciate it.

So I took a sample this morning, it tasted fine (Although i'm far from a beer expert), and the gravity reading was between 1.006-1.008

Like I said before, I never took an original reading, but i'm sure it should be more than 1.008, so does this mean it's already gone through it's primary fermentation?

If you list the fermentables we can make a guess on the OG. Generally, 1.006 to 1.008 sounds done.
Who advised you to make a cream ALE with LAGER yeast? PLEASE NEVER take that person's advice again! I'd also advise not attempting another lager until you have a way to accurately control the temperature. The weather forecast doesn't cut it. You need to be able to raise and lower the temperature at various points in the process. Temperature is important for ales as well, but most ale yeasts work warmer so temperature control is easier.
Let it age as cool as you can get it for a few weeks, bottle and hope. Hopefully it will be drinkable. Most importantly, learn from your experience...

Back