Fermentation closet too cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack1

Reaction score
Hi all I am a college student with a very small amount of disposable income and I need to figure out how to raise the temperature of my fermentation closet a few degrees. My house will generally sit at around 60 degrees or so but can drop down to 50 and sometimes even lower if nobody is in the house for a while. How do people generally keep their brew warm in the winter?

ya I was looking at that and considering it but if I do that I can only have one beer fermenting at a time and right now I have three and i dont really want to drop seventy five dollars (the one that I saw last was about 25 for one) if that's what I have to do, I guess I could cut down on my brewing a bit but really what I'm trying to do is crowd-source an idea to warm the whole closet
and do i have to worry about my bottles too? or are they less susceptible to the cold temps

You could always put a grow lamp in the closet and hook it up to a temp control unit attached to a thermometer in your fermentation buckets/carboys.

Probably cost you more than the heat belt though.

just checked out the fan... thats really cheap! pretty much exactly what I was looking for it says It has a thermostat will it cut out when the room reached like 70 or something or do I need a controller

eBay aquarium temp controller (STC-1000) ~$20 and a reptile ceramic heat bulb ~$15-20. Search the forum for specifics on wiring up the temp controller, it isn't too hard.

Grow lamp wouldn't be advisable, since it would give off a lot of UV light.

You can also use Christmas Lights, like good old Craigtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thermostats in cheap heaters are cheap. Used one years ago and had explosive fermentations with lots of nasty fusels. A small light may be all you need. Start with a 7 watt blub and see how that works. Use some tin foil to block the light.

The thermostats in cheap heaters are cheap. Used one years ago and had explosive fermentations with lots of nasty fusels. A small light may be all you need. Start with a 7 watt blub and see how that works. Use some tin foil to block the light.

I would go with the heat wrap in my eatlier post over a light or fan. The wrap is cheap, safe and effective.

I used to keep my programmable thermostat set so that it dipped to mid50s when I was gone and at night, and mid 60s when I was home. I mostly used 1056 back then, and i fermented and conditioned LOTS of batches under those circumstances and never had trouble getting beers to fully attenuate or carb up.

Sure, letting a fermenting beer get cool an subjecting it to temp swings isn't ideal, but if the budget's tight, I bet you could get away without buying any new equipment.

Also, maybe start using Scottish ale yeast or Kolsch yeast for the next couple months? They like cool temps anyway.

That's great news guys thanks everybody I'm going to start out with the lamp idea and see how that works for the next few weeks as temps drop I keep my brewpot that has a thermometer in the closet so its really easy to stick my head in and check

Back