Fermentation Chamber Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HootHootHoot

Reaction score
In reference to this post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fermentation-cabinet-67542/
I am thinking of doing the exact same thing, lucky to find this post to someone who did it as well

Some questions for those who know much about this:
1. There is a discussion in this thread about heat from the coils. Is there a suggestion to help decrease this? Should I go with a wood-coil-foam set up, or wood-foil-coil-foam layering?

2. Replacing the thermostat with an external digital one (http://www.coleparmer.com/Catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9352000). Is this an easy thing to do? I would much prefer to use something like this rather than the refrigerator thermostat with an external override.

Thanks for the help...

Why not put the hot side of the coils on the back of the cabinet and coat it with sheet metal so that the heat can dissipate via that? or just leave the open coils on the back?

I could definitely see using the wood to dissipate the heat as a problem though. Wood acts as a better insulator than a conductor. So I would believe that it would be correct in saying that the unit would be fighting to cool off it's own heat in his situation.
It works for him, but I'm sure it would be more efficient to keep that heat outside of the chamber.

That actually sounds like a much better idea- leave the coils on the backside and put a coating of sheet metal to help decrease the heat.

I was unsure of the whole physics involved- how the metal cools the coils versus using wood- but makes sense that wood is a better insulator.

The wheels are turning!!

I response to your second question, I don't have any experience with those controllers, but it shouldn't be too hard to wire one of those to your project if you have a little knowledge of wiring things.
You could either bypass the thermostat that's built in, or turn it all the way down and bury it in the insulation (pretend it never existed).
Most refrigerators have their wiring diagram folded up and shoved underneath or on the back someplace. That may give you a better idea as to how yours is wired.
You would want to make sure that you use the proper gauge wiring also so as not to create a fire hazard.

So I'm a newbe here, and to brewing, but not so much when it comes to the application of simple thermodynamics. So I didn't read much of the other thread (but I looked at some pics). So if I'm not very confused (which is always possible) your basically making a 2 carboy sized mini fridge for fermenting lager. I would suggest using a thermoelectric cooler, as it will be much much simpler to build, the only down side is it needs a fan blowing on it to work well.
thermoelectric mini fridge (that's just an example, I don't recommend that product over any other)
The cooling unit is a square with a heat sink on both sides, one gets hot one gets cold. If you put a fan on both, and stick it in the back, or side any insulated box, you will reduce the temp inside. If you want an efficient cooler; lots of insulation, and good seals are needed. If you were to use a compressor type cooling system, the compressor and condenser should be out side of the box.

Latest posts

Back