Fermentation Chamber Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWillis

Reaction score
After a brew has fermented completely at the recommended temp, is it okay to move it from the chamber to a closet? Would it affect the final product in any negative way?

After a few batches of wheats that have been fermenting at room temperature in my kitchen, I've decided I need to get a little more scientific with my fermenting process.

I have a STC on the way, and I'm currently looking on craigslist for a mini fridge or freezer to turn into a chamber. So far I've only been able to find a few fridges that would only be able to store one bucket, I was really hoping to be able to have a couple buckets going at the same time.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a smaller fridge and having one bucket in at a time, but when the bucket hits FG to move it to a closet to flocculate while moving a second bucket in to ferment.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After a brew has fermented completely at the recommended temp, is it okay to move it from the chamber to a closet? Would it affect the final product in any negative way?

After a few batches of wheats that have been fermenting at room temperature in my kitchen, I've decided I need to get a little more scientific with my fermenting process.

I have a STC on the way, and I'm currently looking on craigslist for a mini fridge or freezer to turn into a chamber. So far I've only been able to find a few fridges that would only be able to store one bucket, I was really hoping to be able to have a couple buckets going at the same time.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a smaller fridge and having one bucket in at a time, but when the bucket hits FG to move it to a closet to flocculate while moving a second bucket in to ferment.

Good idea? Bad idea?

You could probably remove the bucket from the chamber after 50% attenuation and never notice, provided you don't move it into an oven or something.

Once you are past the exponential growth phase, you're basically in the clear. That's generally after about 3-4 days with a healthy ale fermentation. Once you are at FG and the beer is clearing, you really have nothing to worry about. Take a look at this for some info on the life cycle of yeast during fermentation: http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Perfect, that's all I needed to hear! Now I just have to find the right mini fridge.

Regarding a heat source for the fermentation chamber, would a normal old 60watt light bulb in a tin can be enough, or should I go the Petco and snag a reptile heating bulb?

I think it's a good idea to be able to warm the fermenter as it nears the end of fermentation. I would just not remove it from the chamber and put it in a cooler environment. A warmer one would be better, to make sure you finish it out.

Just another testimonial, I frequently pull mine out of the chamber after fermentation slows down so I have room for another batch. My chamber only fits one.

Agreed with what everyone has already said but just wanted to add one caveat and that is to make sure wherever you are putting it has relatively stable temperatures. If the temp swings are too great you could cause the yeast to floc out prematurely and leave the beer under-attenuated. The last thing you want is to move a 68 degree beer to a spot that warms up to the upper 70's during the day and the 50's at night. Granted the beer has a large thermal mass and will slowly adjust, but the more you can do to reduce the temp differential the better.

Back