Fermentation Chamber - Looking for a Few Pointer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowden

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had an old freezer laying around in my basement for the past few years. I decided that converting it to a fermentation chamber is the next step on my path towards better beer.

Any recommendations on a temperature controller that 1) doesn't break the bank and 2) actually does a good job? I am far from being an electrician, but am willing to read up on the more DIY-type options if they would result in a better end product. Also, any thoughts on how to get the temperature probe into the belly of this old beast?

I snapped a few photos, see below. Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

Freezer 1.jpg

Freezer 2.jpg

Freezer 3.jpg

For fermentation you should have both cooling and heating capability (if your chamber will ever be somewhere cold, like a garage.) DIY controllers you can build out of the bare controller, a project box, a duplex outlet, and a power cord:
  • STC-1000 (reads °C only), available from Amazon
  • Ink-Bird ITC-1000 (reads °F or °C), available from Amazon
  • STC-1000+ (reads °F or °C), also does timed step or ramp profiles. Available from http://www.boostbysmith.com/brewindex.html
Lots of build tutorials on HBT as well as YouTube for wiring STC-1000's (ITC-1000 is wired identically to an STC-1000.)

You can also get ready built (plug 'n play) STC-1000+ control boxes, as well as complete DIY kits from http://www.boostbysmith.com/brewindex.html.

Technically the STC-1000+ is the most capable option.

There are controllers that look like an STC-1000 that read in °F, but they are not dual acting (can't do both cooling and heating.) The ITC-1000 is the only lookalike that is dual acting.

There is also a new controller on the market called the Ink-Bird ITC-308. This is basically a plug 'n play version of the ITC-1000. It is new enough that no one on HBT has received one and reviewed it yet. Shipping is only from China for now, and takes 2+ weeks.

For the temp probe, I just let the leads get pinched in the door seal of my chest freezer. If you want to drill a hole in the freezer to run the probe, then you need to know where you can drill without hitting a cooling coil in the wall. Different for every model.

Brew on :mug:

I have both, the STC-1000 and the Ink-Bird. Both are very easy to wire up and work very good. I just took the first step to a Ferm chamber last week, just have to wire in the Ink-Bird and good to go. $20 via Amazon

I'm happy with my ITC-1000 and the build wasn't too complicated. There are a couple of good tutorials on YouTube. Like mentioned above, the new ITC-308 just came out and the price is nice. I also just let the freezer door close on the temp probe wire.

I have not used the sct-1000, it looks good and is cheap. But I like being able to pull mine up while I'm at work. Because of that I have a brewpi and ardnuino. It is great to have if you can spend a little extra and can diy it. I think it ran me $75

Thanks for all the great information.

Over the last few days, I have spent a lot of time reading the STC-1000 DIY builds and have watched several YouTube tutorials on the same topic. I can follow directions well enough and am confident I could build one of these bad boys, but am concerned about potentially screwing something up and using materials that aren't as safe as they maybe should be (lots of write-ups describe cannibalizing an extension cord...which can vary in gauge...). I feel like I need to bust out my old high school physics notes to brush up on amps, watts, volts, and the like!

So, my follow up question for those more electrically inclined is this: is there a way to make the DIY wiring of a STC-1000 safer? Use larger gauge wire? Add in a fuse somewhere?

Am I being paranoid for no reason?

SWMBO would be less than pleased if I burned the house down. Haha.

Thanks everyone! :)

If you have some 14 gauge romex around you can use that. Your house is wired with it so I think you will be good. I think home depot sells it by the foot and you would only need a couple of feet. Strip off the outer cover and use the individual wires from inside to go from the controller to the outlets.

You will still need the extension cord to go from the house outlet to the controller. Cut off the female end and wire in as the incoming power to the controller. As long as you make sure to wire up the ground wire for the outlets you will be fine as far as safety.

Thanks for all the great information.

Over the last few days, I have spent a lot of time reading the STC-1000 DIY builds and have watched several YouTube tutorials on the same topic. I can follow directions well enough and am confident I could build one of these bad boys, but am concerned about potentially screwing something up and using materials that aren't as safe as they maybe should be (lots of write-ups describe cannibalizing an extension cord...which can vary in gauge...). I feel like I need to bust out my old high school physics notes to brush up on amps, watts, volts, and the like!

So, my follow up question for those more electrically inclined is this: is there a way to make the DIY wiring of a STC-1000 safer? Use larger gauge wire? Add in a fuse somewhere?

Am I being paranoid for no reason?

SWMBO would be less than pleased if I burned the house down. Haha.

Thanks everyone! :)
16 gauge wire is good for 10A. If you want extra margin, you can use 14 gauge wire. A 10A slow-blow fuse in the incoming hot line (black wire), prior to any other connections, will provide extra safety.

16 gauge wire is good for 10A. If you want extra margin, you can use 14 gauge wire. A 10A slow-blow fuse in the incoming hot line (black wire), prior to any other connections, will provide extra safety.

Thanks for the great info. I grabbed a 14 gauge extension cord that I can cut for the internal wires. The fuses threw me for a loop, tons of kinds, different voltages, sizes, etc. I found 10-amp time-delay... is this right?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Cooper-Bussmann-FNM-Series-10-Amp-Midget-Fuses-2-Pack-BP-FNM-10/100114235/

Is there some kind of housing or mount that this goes into?

Thanks for the great info. I grabbed a 14 gauge extension cord that I can cut for the internal wires. The fuses threw me for a loop, tons of kinds, different voltages, sizes, etc. I found 10-amp time-delay... is this right?

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Cooper-Bussmann-FNM-Series-10-Amp-Midget-Fuses-2-Pack-BP-FNM-10/100114235/

Is there some kind of housing or mount that this goes into?

Those will work. Note that is says for inductive loads, that's what your freezer compressor is. You will also need an appropriate fuse holder.

Back