fermentation chamber in a fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ellas

Reaction score
I recently got a spare fridge that will be my fermentation chamber. What is the best, safest way to warm inside the fridge? I have an stc1000 that I'll be putting together this week to control the heat source and cooling once it's time.

Thank you!

The easiest is to put it in an area that is always warmer than you need inside. My fermentation fridge is in a room that stay 70 degrees in winter and warmer than that in the other seasons.

Otherwise I think the normal suggestion is a small ceramic heater.

I tried a ceramic heater but thought it was too hot and close to the ferm bucket. I ended up getting a plastic tote that fits in the fridge, holds the fermenter and about a 1.5 gallons of water. Put a 100 watt aquarium heater in it and it worked great. I went with 100 watts since its in my garage and its been in the 30s at night here lately.

Fridge is in the basement and it pretty chilly down there now. As a matter of fact, no place in my house is above 64ish at the moment and won't be until after stupid winter.

A lot of people use the Lasko My Heat and like it. I'll probably go with one of them for my BrewPi fridge which is under construction. You can also try Flex Watt heat tape if you have a thermowell monitoring temps or if you strap and insulate a probe to the outside of your fermenter. I'm using them right now in my chamber and like them pretty well. There are many options, but you have to decide which is the best and safest!

Back