Fermentation Chamber Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fid

Reaction score
So I'm looking to piece together a Ferm Chamber big enough to hold 2 or maybe 3 carboys. I stumbled across a used, small, 8 bottle, wine fridge like this. Manufacturer says that it gets to 46 degrees at the lowest temp... I'm trying to figure out if something like this would be powerful enough to cool an insulated chamber large enough to hold a couple of carboys.

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences they care to offer?

012505749230lg.jpg

Depends on the btu rating of the cabinet. I build myself a fermentation chamber not to long ago which can hold 6x6 gal carboys, and or packaged bottles.

Thing about it is, fermenting beer produces more heat than I think many would expect.

I had my fermentation chamber set to 64 degrees for the last black IPA I just brewed this weekend. I checked the IPA temp a day into fermentation when it was blowing off like crazy and the temp was 10 degrees over the cabinet temp. Along with this there were two other 6 gal conicals in my chamber along with some bottles. Everything else was at 64.

Needless to say, the rest of the cabinet was at 64, but the fermenting beer was on overload. It was producing enough heat to where my cooler was constantly on for about 24 hrs.

I built my chamber from cull 2x4s from Home Depot and scrap plywood. I insulated with 2 inch foamboard. I have a Black & Decker mini fridge inserted in one end. There are 2 doors on the front that swing out, and the top lifts up so loading and unloading is a cinch. I lined the whole thing with a Butyl rubber coated tarp and spray glue. It is controlled with an A419 Johnson controller. It fits 3 vessels and I have been able to keep them within a few degrees of set temperature, usually 64 degrees or 68 degrees.

So given good insulation that wine cooler should work. I paid $94 for the new mini fridge at Walmart.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm trying to counteract. The ambient temp in my fermentation closet right now is ~65° and the two batches of beer I've got going right now are clocking in at around 10°-12° above that. I've thrown together a swamp cooler to take care of it for now but moving forward I'd like to get a more refined solution. Hence, Ferm Chamber.

I built my chamber from cull 2x4s from Home Depot and scrap plywood. I insulated with 2 inch foamboard. I have a Black & Decker mini fridge inserted in one end. There are 2 doors on the front that swing out, and the top lifts up so loading and unloading is a cinch. I lined the whole thing with a Butyl rubber coated tarp and spray glue. It is controlled with an A419 Johnson controller. It fits 3 vessels and I have been able to keep them within a few degrees of set temperature, usually 64 degrees or 68 degrees.

So given good insulation that wine cooler should work. I paid $94 for the new mini fridge at Walmart.

This is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Someone is trying to get rid of this wine fridge for $20 which is why I'm interested in it. I was also thinking that the higher temperature settings required for wine storage might mean I could skip on the Temperature Controller.

Back