Fermentation Chamber Heater Too Powerful?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurph

Reaction score
Yesterday I finished building my STC-1000 Temp controller for my fermentation chamber, and I've had it running now for about 24 hrs. I used a Lasko My Heater 200 W ceramic space heater for the heat source, and am wondering if 200W is too high for my little 7 cf freezer. I don't have anything actively fermenting, just a porter conditioning, but the cycling seems fairly dramatic. I have my temp sensor in water right now (not trying to control a fermentation), and the overshoot is more than I was expecting. It seems reasonable to me that a smaller heat source (60 W bulb-in-paint-can or something) would heat more slowly, and the water temp would be able to follow the chamber temp more closely.
Has anyone else had a similar issue? I realize this will be completely different during fermentation, but would like to be able to control temps well throughout the process. Suggestions?

I've heard a hair dryer on low works good that is what I will do when I get couple more bucks to finish my build

Are you using a fan to distribute the energy?
I use a fan that runs all the time.

I use a ceramic infrared 150W reptile bulb in a 19 cf fridge, no fan. It works well, but is way more heat than I need. I wish I'd saved a couple bucks and bought the 75W bulb instead.

Are you using a fan to distribute the energy?
I use a fan that runs all the time.

I'm not using a fan other than the one that is built into the heater. I do think that I'll go ahead and downgrade to the bulb in a can. 200 W is ridiculous for this tiny freezer :p

You could try to connect a light dimmer switch to the heater to vary the electrcity or using a controller from a heating blanket/pad.

Just an update: I built the paint-can heater, and have added some thermal mass (more beer!), and everything seems to be working much better now. I'm also measuring the fluid temp of a carboy instead of having the temp probe submerged in a glass of sanitizer, and I think that might have made the biggest difference. I still think 200W is excessive for a 7 cuft. freezer. Just sayin'.

What do you guys think about this? I have it on low and plugged into A419. Its keeping fermentor at desired temp within 1 degree. I have some concerns about the safety of setup, but coils never get red hot. (and how do I rotate pics?)
photo1.jpg

Looks fine but you might consider adding a fan to keep the temp even.

60w incandescent light bulb covered with ceramic beer mug. Works perfect I live in Canada and temps get below -30c and that light bulb will keep my ferm temps no prob.

Williams Brewing sells a heat pad with an adhesive back that you can stick to the side of your ferm chamber, low radiant heat doesn't need a fan. I mounted mine to a sheet of aluminum and hang it slightly off the wall.

I have the Lasko 200W heater and it works fine. Might be too much wattage, but i have it blasting into some bottles to diffuse the direct heat onto the carboy. It works great. May be overkill, but i could have made a light can heater for the price i paid. And i can take that heater into my office if I ever need it.

I did add a computer fan to circulate air, and both my freezer and heater have not had to come on as often. So if you got it for cheap like I got, then I say keep it.

Back