Fermentation chamber connected to chest freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
Here's my thought, I use a 7 ft.³ chest freezer as my fermentation chamber. I can fit two buckets or carboys in it at a time and use a Johnson Controls to manage the temperature. I have a 2 x 4 collar on the freezer. I was thinking of drilling a couple holes the size of a computer fan in the side of the 2 x 4 collar. I would mount fans in those holes and going from them to a insulated fermentation chamber sitting on the floor that would hold two more fermenters. I would build the fermentation chamber out of scrap wood and lots of insulation. With another controller, I would measure the temperature of my beer fermenting in the chamber, and when it got warmer than desired, I would have the sensor turn on the computer fans to blow cold air from the freezer into the chamber. I was thinking I should be able to do lagers in the freezer as I'm doing now and just do ales in the chamber, in the mid to low 60s. When the fermentation chamber needed cooling, and the fans kicked on, I would expect the temperature to go up in the freezer, but it would still kick on as usual. I think this would work, but not sure if there would be enough cold air to get the fermentation chamber in the 60s. This time of year my basement is in the 60s but I'm looking for a solution for the summer months as well.

Has anyone seen anyone else do this?

I have seen similar designs...the one I saw had ducts connecting the freezer collar to the insulated box and I wondered how efficient that was (the ducts were long and un-insulated).

Cost-wise I would ask if the materials to build it will make it cheaper than finding a second used fridge/freezer on CL. Last sheet of 1.5" rigid insulation cost me just under $40. Add in computer fans, wiring, glue, caulking, etc...

you can see what I did here, mostly because my floor space is limited. It is an awesome setup but I agree if you have the room a second used freezer would be a lot easier.

In doing research for my build lots of people did what you are talking about, but it seems like people had lots of issues with condensation in the second chamber, which is why i went with water instead of air for a coolant.

That is an awesome idea you had and it came out fantastic. I would have never thought of a keezer and ferm chamber in one. I already have a keezer and a ferm chamber (chest freezer) but the ferm chamber can only hold two fermenters. Another chest freezer is not where I want to go either because I barely need it for ales in the winter and I'd like to get a conical or 10 one day. I figured I could do ales year round in the add on ferm chamber, and lagers year round in the freezer. Figured on building the add on big enough to hold 4 fermenters.

Check out this keezer build. Looks like a good way to pull the cold air from the bottom of your freezer and pump it over to a new chamber.

You would need two holes/lines for two way circulation (one pushing one puling) to create an air exchange between the freezer and the chamber.

But you may be better off to snag a compact frig off Craigslist for $40??

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f252/keezer-build-tips-lessons-learned-301204/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0DE8K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited by a moderator:
Figured on building the add on big enough to hold 4 fermenters.

Have you considered just going up instead of with a separate box? This is what I did to increase my capacity from 1 to 2 fermenters in my small (5 cu ft) chest freezer.

I built an extra wide collar of of rigid foam insulation, caulked it together and just lay my freezer door on top. I use a fan to circulate the air when it kicks on to cool (I have multiple plugs in my temp controller.

Works great thus far, I've only done ales though.

Again, I think you might want to consider if you are truly interested in going with ale-lager co-fermentation setup or just increasing capacity. Increasing capacity will be much simpler and cheaper.

I thought of something similar but would really like the ability to do ales and lagers at the same time. My fifth lager batch is fermenting now and I've been so happy with them I'm going to have to continue brewing them ;-).

I thought of something similar but would really like the ability to do ales and lagers at the same time. My fifth lager batch is fermenting now and I've been so happy with them I'm going to have to continue brewing them ;-).

Then I guess the question is if it worth building the extra chamber, just for the capability of doing ales/lagers at the same time vs. "batching" lagers, then doing some ales, etc.

Another option is to use a heat wrap to keep ale ferments warm, inside a chamber set for lager ferments. Although not very efficient from a energy standpoint, this can be done.

I've though about that too. But eventually I'd like to move to conicals and then a chest freezer is not good for fermentation. I know some people do that but lifting the conical in and out of the chest freezer to dump trub and collect yeast seems to defeat the purpose. Ideally I'd like 4 ss conicals each in its own mini fridge, all separately controlled. But that would cost like $2600

Back