fermentation chamber build. in progress!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another question occurs to me: what tool did you use to cut the rigid insulation down to size? Hacksaw with a fine blade, or something else entirely?

I used an utility knife. I don't know if it is the same insulation that you are using but I used RMax insulation. I got it at home depot. If you don't use the plastic sheet to cover the insulation I was told to have the shiny side in to reflect back into the chamber.

Hey Bucks, thanks for the inspiration. Got my live controller and probe and framed it out today. Just need to get the insulation now. Woohoo!! Probably can fit 4 carboys.

ForumRunner_20110702_202152.jpg

Looks awesome! Are you putting one door one it? Door was fun figuring out how to insulate it with the hinges on the inside and having to insulatearound them.

If mine was bigger I was debating on putting a sliding shelf on the inside so that I could load a carby on it and then push it in the bag. I thought it was going to be hard to push a full car boy around. Then I went small so I didn't have to worry about it.

Also a note on the love controller, to have patience. At least mine too a couple of minutes to figure out the temp and turn on the fridge and fan. At first I thought it was broke.

Cant wait to see the progress.

Bucks-04 said:
Looks awesome! Are you putting one door one it? Door was fun figuring out how to insulate it with the hinges on the inside and having to insulatearound them.

If mine was bigger I was debating on putting a sliding shelf on the inside so that I could load a carby on it and then push it in the bag. I thought it was going to be hard to push a full car boy around. Then I went small so I didn't have to worry about it.

Also a note on the love controller, to have patience. At least mine too a couple of minutes to figure out the temp and turn on the fridge and fan. At first I thought it was broke.

Cant wait to see the progress.

Haven't figured the door out yet. A little drunk and pain killers are kicking in.
Sliding thingy sounds cool.
Yeah door is going to be tricky.
Thanks for the info on the controller.
Thanks again.

Hey bucks. What do think about this. I'll make a door on the opposite side of the fridge. The door would swing up. I'll make a track system so I can pull out the carboys as needed. See any problems with this idea? Thanks.

Hey bucks. What do think about this. I'll make a door on the opposite side of the fridge. The door would swing up. I'll make a track system so I can pull out the carboys as needed. See any problems with this idea? Thanks.

Sounds like an idea that would work. You would just put the ones that would finish fermenting towards the front. I love the sliding shelf idea, mine was to small and no need.

If you went track system I would make sure it would be able to handle all the weight. The last thing you would want is like a year down the road and the track system failed. Now you would have to crawl inside it and then jimmy it out.

Also think about where you are going to pace the fermentation chamber. You wouldn't be able to put it in the corner because you wouldn't be able to cover the back of the fridge and you would need to get in it. So that is something to think about.

The door thing would work. How were you thinking of propping it up?

Also would the shelf slide out or just bring the carboy from the back to front? I would suggest just back to front because then you wouldn't have to worry about supporting the shelf when it comes out of the fermentor.

Still haven't figured the door or track system yet but figured I had to do something.

Looks nice and clean. Can't wait to see your ideas and how your going to incorperate them.

The wife just gave me the green light for a kegerator and wine rack bar but that won't happen for a while. I'm really thinking about trying out wine making.

So, hows your chamber working out? You electric bill any higher?
Went to lowes today and they cut me thin acrylic sheets. Hope it helps clean up explosive fermentations. LOL!!!

She is happy. She has beer in her and is at 66 degrees.

As far as electrical bill, well I'm in the military and live one base housing. So all of my utilities are free.

How is your build going?

In the military eh? What branch?

Also, thanks for your service, in addition to the ideas you gave me for my chamber!

A little progress. Went crazy with that yellow foaming stuff. Just need another acrylic sheet for the top and then I can close it up. However still stuck on door? Swing out from center two doors, 1 big door, swing up, or swing down? Choices choices.

ForumRunner_20110716_214404.jpg

ForumRunner_20110716_214420.jpg

A little progress. Went crazy with that yellow foaming stuff. Just need another acrylic sheet for the top and then I can close it up. However still stuck on door? Swing out from center two doors, 1 big door, swing up, or swing down? Choices choices.

Looks good. I think my biggest decision was with the door and how to insulate. The door was my biggest weak point but now I think it is pretty strong with the insertt i built for it. I like the air gap you put in from insulation. I read on someones build how that is better and provides more insulation. Wish I would of done it.

Wow, I wish mine looked like that. No wood on mine and my door is just a piece of styro held in place with magnets. I'd be ashamed to post pics of it. But it gets the job done fo sho

mikeysab said:
Wow, I wish mine looked like that. No wood on mine and my door is just a piece of styro held in place with magnets. I'd be ashamed to post pics of it. But it gets the job done fo sho

Function is what matters. Im making mine presentable so the wife can put her wine stuff on it and I store (hide) my 6 brews in it. ;)

Function is what matters. Im making mine presentable so the wife can put her wine stuff on it and I store (hide) my 6 brews in it. ;)

+1 to function over looks. Quality of beer is what matters!!!

I just ordered my first wine kit. We will see how this goes. any tips?

Since I have a ton of loose fiber insulation, I think I'm going to fill the gaps in between the noard insulation and the outside paneling. Also I can toss a bunch on top. Any issues doing this that anyone can see?

A little more progress. Doors on!! 1 door insulated. Todo. Extra insulation, glue down top insulation, temp controller, silicone chaulking. Finish painting white with more chalkboard paint. Sorry the last pic isn't rotated. posted from my phone..

ForumRunner_20110721_132514.jpg

ForumRunner_20110721_132530.jpg

Sorry its been awhile. My wife and I just had our first baby July 20.

Looks awesome. I like the double door, more room to get the heavy stuff in and out.

So what else ya got to do: paint, install a top, and...?

Congrats man, that's awesome!!! (the new addition to the family I mean)

And nice looking work on that other fern chamber too!

Mine is painted up, just waiting for the temp controller to show up. I did just acquire an old pc case fan, and paired it up with an old ac to 12v dc adapter I had lying around... Got a batch crash cooling right now!

Congrats man, that's awesome!!! (the new addition to the family I mean)

And nice looking work on that other fern chamber too!

Mine is painted up, just waiting for the temp controller to show up. I did just acquire an old pc case fan, and paired it up with an old ac to 12v dc adapter I had lying around... Got a batch crash cooling right now!

Sweet. I'm still trying to brew a imperial stout this weekend, be ready for the winter. Can't wait for the new assistant to get older/bigger!

Let me know how yours work?

Bucks-04 said:
Sorry its been awhile. My wife and I just had our first baby July 20.

Looks awesome. I like the double door, more room to get the heavy stuff in and out.

So what else ya got to do: paint, install a top, and...?

Congrats on the baby!!! They are fun and say the funniest things when they start talking. I'll be making my 2 yr old daughter into a Brewer eventually. Wife doesn't know yet ;)

I did the double door for easier access because I couldn't really think how to do a track system. Weight of 5+ carboys and a pull out drawer was stumping me.

Hopefully I get the temp controller in tonight and start test runs.
So then all I have left is final trimming and other cosmetic stuff.

That turned out really good. I like the double doors.

How does it hold temps and how often does it cycle on and off?

Bucks-04 said:
That turned out really good. I like the double doors.

How does it hold temps and how often does it cycle on and off?

Thanks. I've had it set at 67 and it didn't change for the 30 minutes I was in the basement before I got distracted. I'll be doing better temp tracking this week.
Ready to brew again!!!!

Well good luck. Let me know the results.

I have an amber and a Russian imperial stout planned for this week.

Bucks-04 said:
Well good luck. Let me know the results.

I have an amber and a Russian imperial stout planned for this week.

Planning a ris also and a cream of 3 crops for summer vacation. But that's only 2. Hum? I have room for 4 more batches. What to make. :)

I also got a hef with the father inlaw and that will Max out mine. The ris will be in there for a while like maybe Dec.

Update. 3 5 gallons and 2 3 gallons in the chamber and still have room for 1 more 5 gallon batch. Holds temps well and it turns on for about 2-3 minutes every couple hours. Set at 67°. Thanks for the motivation again.

Bucks and kapbrew, I like both of your chambers. I'm considering building one but would like to ask how much you guys have in your chambers? I'm sure it's cheaper than buying a chest freezer by far. Thanks!

HoosierDaddyBrew said:
Bucks and kapbrew, I like both of your chambers. I'm considering building one but would like to ask how much you guys have in your chambers? I'm sure it's cheaper than buying a chest freezer by far. Thanks!

I have 3 5 gallons and 2 3 gallons in it right now and have room for 1 more 5 gallon. These are carboys and better bottles. I think a chest freezer might have been cheaper for me because I wanted it to look nice. If you don't mind it to look eh, then it might have been the same price as a used chest freezer from Craigslist.

I have 3 5 gallons and 2 3 gallons in it right now and have room for 1 more 5 gallon. These are carboys and better bottles. I think a chest freezer might have been cheaper for me because I wanted it to look nice. If you don't mind it to look eh, then it might have been the same price as a used chest freezer from Craigslist.

i'll be building mine this week- i'm notoriously thrifty and will def be keeping this to a B movie budget :cross:

i just picked up 2 fridges (one for 50, 3.7 ft and one for 75 thats 4.5)

my kitchen looks hilarious with a 15+ ft keezer and 2 mini fridges :drunk:

Chest freezer would be cheaper but there is something about building your own.
i'll be building mine this week- i'm notoriously thrifty and will def be keeping this to a B movie budget :cross:

i just picked up 2 fridges (one for 50, 3.7 ft and one for 75 thats 4.5)

my kitchen looks hilarious with a 15+ ft keezer and 2 mini fridges :drunk:

Good luck! Its fun building.

Kapbrew how is yours doing? Mine has been in use for almost a month now and working like a champ. Mine does cycle more than yours, mine is set to a 2 degree tolerance.

Back