Fermentation bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got plenty of glass carboys but recently I have started using plastic buckets again for my fermenter. I purchased a Brewer's Best bucket from my LHBS and when I got it home I found out it doesn't have an O-ring in the lid. I contacted them and they said their lids don't contain an O-ring. They claim that it doesn't need to seal because the fermentation creates positive pressure that keeps O2 out of the bucket. They also stated that airlock activity is not an indication of the progress of fermentation. While I agree with this premise, I still want a lid that seals so my airlock will bubble. I like to see when fermentation is starting and how vigorous it is progressing. I can't tell anything with the Brewer's best bucket other than shining a flashlight into the bucket to see the krausen above the beer.
Oh, by the way, part of the joy of brewing for me is to see my airlock bubble!:mug:

Is there a source for buckets that have O-rings in the lid that don't cost a fortune? I found one for $38 but that seems way to expensive. I've got the spigot and I can drill the lid so if I could get a bottling bucket or something I could modify it as a fermenter.

Homer bucket lids have an o-ring. you could buy one remove it and place it in the lid of your brewers best bucket. My don't have o-rings and the airlock bubbles just fine, fwiw.

I use 5 gallon buckets for batches up to about 3.5 gallons- I bought them at Lowes, along with lids and gaskets. You can drill the lids with a paddle bit, work in the gasket, and you are off to the races. Total cost was about $8 each fermentor for bucket, gasket and lid. Good luck and cheers!

Those Lowes buckets are great , cheap, FDA approved

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

one of my LHBS' sells the little gaskets you can put in a lid so you must be able to order them from somewhere... unless you want to drive to Leesburg VA of course...

I wouldn't generally do bulk aging in a bucket, so if you agree with that you are definitely looking at positive pressure, active yeast, and a short duration. So what's the airlock for? Infections are not airborne, and oxidation is not a notable risk here. An o-ring in your fermenter lid is absolutely the last thing to worry about.

That was my next question. Are they really food grade plastic?

They are labeled food grade, BPA-free. The lids are not known to be food-safe or not, but I'm not fermenting on my lid, so it doesn't really worry me. They are excellent buckets, and I ferment 9-gallon batches in a pair of them regularly.

Just found this at Lowes with lid for less than $6.50 with tax. It is food grade and BPA free. Thanks everyone!:mug:
I've got a spigot already and a stopper some where for the lid. All I need to do is drill holes for both. It should work great for my 2 1/2 to 3 gallon batches.
Oh, and I bought a tool for removing the lid for about $1.50.
new-bucket-62714.jpg

Now go get 20 more, and you can look crazy at the checkout line, like I did. They also give you contractor rate on ~5 or more (like $1 off/ea, I think)

I have a local dairy near me. They sell their buckets that contained chocolate, coffee or other syrups. They charge $1.50 no lid. Last time I bought 8 buckets.

Back