Fermentation Bucket no airlock or blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbous_blues

Reaction score
Hi

I wondered if anyone has fermented their wort in a fermentation bucket with no airlock or blow off tube, but just a lid? Where I store my fermenter is a tight fit. I know bucket lids are not really airtight so I wondered whats the problem with no airlock or blow off.

I guess my second option myabe a elbow joint so the blow off tube comes out at 90s degrees

You don't need an airlock for that style of fermenrer, it's pretty common. You're just meant not to snap the lid on it, that's all.

An airlock is one of the most overated by new brewers, yet most superfluous piece of equiptment there is. Folks give it way too much importance. It's not a fermentation gauge, nor is it something mechanical that helps a beer ferment.

An airlock is simply a vent, a VALVE to release the buildup of excess co2, to keep your beer off the ceiling. Whatever means used to achieve that end is fine. The yeast don't care.

In this case, all you're supposed to do is leave the lid on loosely....if you're paranoid, stick a brick on top for weight, but it doesn't matter.

In fact many folks with arthitis and other issues don't snap the lid down on their buckets anyway, and may folks just put tinfoil, plastic wrap, metal cookie sheets or even plexiglass sheets on top of the bucket instead. It's really not crucial to be tight.

My fermenter is like a white translucent trash can. It don't have a airlock or blow off valve. I like it cause I put the beer in there for a week. Once the foam resides I move it over to a glass Carboy and I have had no problem with it yet.

Excellent, thanks for your input guys. Problem solved, ditch the airlock and tube nonsense.

Back