fermentation arrest with Brew House kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlw03

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new home brewer and have been working with kits thus far - I've tried both Brew House liquid kits and Cooper's syrup kits. I've had a weird problem come up multiple times now with my Brew House kits and I'm hoping someone on here has an idea - the folks at my local home brew shop were stumped, so much that they gave me another kit to try again, and I've had the same problem. I'll note that I have NOT had this problem with my brewing from the canned kits, which fermented down to around 1.005 (and I've tested in a chemistry lab at work... about 4.5% ethanol).

With the Brew House kits the fermentation appears to be arresting. Initial SG was 1.040 to 1.044, and for each they ferment down to 1.020 in about a week. Then, nothing. The SG stays at that level. For one batch I tried waking it back up with another pack of yeast... nothing. I'd like to get this to work because I'm told the beer is tastier from the Brew House kits than the canned kits, and I figure it's a bridge to more independence in this hobby.

Anyone have experience with a problem such as this, and/or suggestions as to what I can do to get the fermentation to continue?

What's your fermentation temp and yeast strain? Also what kind of beer are you making? I've had IPA's with a FG over 1.025. And finally what kind of Malts are you using?

To sum it up, things that can contribute to low attenuation are: low fermentation temp, heavy use of crystal malts, yeast strain (and proper amount of healthy yeast pitched)

I've used whatever yeast came with the kit, which was a cream ale. The kit was not old/expired. The kit's instruction say that the final SG should get down below 1.010. I add nothing to the kit other than additional water to the 23L mark, controlling temp such that it started around 77F; because it's now cold where I live, after a few days temp dropped to around 70F, and that was with the aide of a warming belt around the primary fermenter.

What's your fermentation temp and yeast strain? Also what kind of beer are you making? I've had IPA's with a FG over 1.025. And finally what kind of Malts are you using?

To sum it up, things that can contribute to low attenuation are: low fermentation temp, heavy use of crystal malts, yeast strain (and proper amount of healthy yeast pitched)

I've used whatever yeast came with the kit, which was a cream ale. The kit was not old/expired. The kit's instruction say that the final SG should get down below 1.010. I add nothing to the kit other than additional water to the 23L mark, controlling temp such that it started around 77F; because it's now cold where I live, after a few days temp dropped to around 70F, and that was with the aide of a warming belt around the primary fermenter.

I have had that happen to me, when using extract. It's nothing you're doing wrong, but some extracts seem to be less fermentable depending on type and brand. It's happened to many others, too- see some of our threads about the "1.020 curse"!

The only thing I'd suggest now is to get your temperatures better- 77 degrees is WAY too warm, and even 70 F is too warm for most ales. Ideally, you'd shoot for 65F up to about 68F for all ales.

So will this beer turn out "properly" and with a normal alcohol content of 4-5%? I can take it in to my chem lab and test it, but figured that with that much fermentable sugar still in there, it doesn't make sense for the EtOH level to be what it was for my other beers. I suppose if that's the case I'll drink it, but it's frustrating to be following the direction precisely and getting this inappropriate result.

I have had that happen to me, when using extract. It's nothing you're doing wrong, but some extracts seem to be less fermentable depending on type and brand. It's happened to many others, too- see some of our threads about the "1.020 curse"!

The only thing I'd suggest now is to get your temperatures better- 77 degrees is WAY too warm, and even 70 F is too warm for most ales. Ideally, you'd shoot for 65F up to about 68F for all ales.

So will this beer turn out "properly" and with a normal alcohol content of 4-5%? I can take it in to my chem lab and test it, but figured that with that much fermentable sugar still in there, it doesn't make sense for the EtOH level to be what it was for my other beers. I suppose if that's the case I'll drink it, but it's frustrating to be following the direction precisely and getting this inappropriate result.

No. Finishing with a higher FG means less ABV.

A quick and easy guestimate for ABV% is (OG-FG) x 131= % ABV.

I wouldn't say you got an "inappropriate result". Sure, it's not the amount of alcohol you anticipated, but beer is about good flavor and enjoyment. Due to the too-high fermentation temperature of 77 degrees, it may have some weird fruity flavors (called esters) or some "hot" alcohol flavors (called fusels) but overall it may taste pretty darn good in the end.

If alcohol level is imperative, add a shot of Everclear to the glass. :cross:

I had a similar problem with one of these kits (pale wheat ale). I was tip toeing around the minimum temp (about 18 degrees Celsius) and it stalled at 1.020. I Asked at the brew store and they said to stir it a little and raise the temp. It got down to about 1.016 after that and that was all. Turned out to be a great beer. I'm actually drinking one now. Throw a heat belt on it and leave it for a bit and then bottle it. I'm on my 4th brew house kit and haven't been disappointed yet. Brew on!

Back