Fermentation and Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcarlton74

Bill's Basement Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So brewed a DDH NEIPA - Avg. Perfect Northeast IPA (NEIPA) Brewers Friend
My preboil gravity was low so I added what I thought was the right amount of DME Light to bring it up. Original gravity ended up being high. Today is 11 days in the fermentor and it's still bubbling. Not vigorously, but maybe 1 bubble every 3 to 5 seconds. And it's been this way for 3 or 4 days. I added my second dry hop at what I thought was 3 days. Planned on bottling tonight, but now I'm going to wait. How much longer do you think I will have to wait and will the second dry hop affect the beer negatively being in longer than 3 days? Recipe is attached for reference. Thanks
Bill

Attachments

• AvgPerfectNortheastIPANEIPA-1.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 2
What’s the gravity? Only taking gravity readings can determine if fermentation is complete or still taking place. I would assume if you’re still getting airlock pop ever 3 seconds or so it’s still fermenting but only a reading can tell you for sure

So due to an injury haven't been pulling fermentor out of chamber for readings. Been relying on my Tilt for readings. The tilt readings can get skewed pretty easy with krausen build up. Was showing 1.007 for a couple days but is at 1.011 today as some of the krausen disperses.

So due to an injury haven't been pulling fermentor out of chamber for readings. Been relying on my Tilt for readings. The tilt readings can get skewed pretty easy with krausen build up. Was showing 1.007 for a couple days but is at 1.011 today as some of the krausen disperses.
Sorry to hear about the injury. If it maintains 1.011 for another 48 hours I’d say go ahead and bottle

You may be done, and the dry hops are causing a lot of the entrained CO2 to come out of solution. The hops provide nucleation points for the CO2 to be released (like the laser etch on the bottom of some glasses. It should slow down. Trust the gravity readings.

Latest posts

Back