Fermentation and Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browning348

Reaction score
1. I have a 2.5 gal pale that I pitched with 1/2 pack of US05. Fermentation started fast, lasted about 24 hours, and slowed considerably with no high krausean stage. Obviously I’ve under pitched. Should I re pitch some more yeast? My gut says yes.

2. I bottle condition and bottle prime all of my beers. After a week or so I begin to chill them individually. It seems like even after 24 hours in the fridge the overall taste and character of the beer improves. Also, the carbonation and head seems to “stabilize” and become more consistent. Just looking for some feedback on a general observation

I've used s05 before in a 5.5g batch of IPA and just used 1 pack (rehydrated) and it took the wort down to an FG of what I expected. I would think that you'll be fine with a half pack. FWIW, I never got what you would call "full krausen" with this yeast either. Just a nice layer showing it's doing its job. I did however ferment in the low range so that may be why? Its a great strain though and I plan to harvest some in the near future for some more pales that I'll be doing.

I would personally let it ride for a while and see what your gravity is at just to gauge how its doing. Someone with more experience may be able to chime in.

Depending on the gravity of your beer and the fermentation temp, it could be that your beer is almost done. A hydrometer reading will let you know what is going on.

I also use 1/2 packets with 2.5 and 3-gallon batches. Never had a problem, always gets to expected FG (or further). Unless your yeast was old or mistreated, it should be fine.

1. I have a 2.5 gal pale that I pitched with 1/2 pack of US05. Fermentation started fast, lasted about 24 hours, and slowed considerably with no high krausean stage. Obviously I’ve under pitched. Should I re pitch some more yeast? My gut says yes.

2. I bottle condition and bottle prime all of my beers. After a week or so I begin to chill them individually. It seems like even after 24 hours in the fridge the overall taste and character of the beer improves. Also, the carbonation and head seems to “stabilize” and become more consistent. Just looking for some feedback on a general observation

1. My experience says you did not underpitch. You may have fermented the beer warmer than you should have to get that short of active fermentation. Use your hydrometer to check the fermentation. You may already be at final gravity and adding yeast will be just adding yeast to a beer that already has plenty.

2. Beers mature at different rates. None of them will be at their prime at one week. A very light colored, low alcohol beer will peak at about 3 weeks, the time it takes for most of the yeast to settle out and the heading compounds to stabilize. At the other end of the spectrum will be a barleywine which being very dark and very high alcohol for a beer will take a year or more to reach its peak. Try giving your beers more time in the fermenter so more of the yeast settles out there, then 3 weeks in the bottle before you start sampling. Try to keep a few bottles for longer periods so you can see how they mature.

Despite all the sound advice I decided to rehydrate and pitch another pack. My reasoning is I plan on racking off this yeast cake and adding another higher gravity brew so the pack of yeast won’t be a loss. I believe you all were right because 12 hours later absolutely no activity. I’ll let it ride a couple more days then take a reading.

I’ve known that aging beer is a good thing. I do like trying one every 7 days or so to see how the process is going. I guess my question really is, does putting the beers in the fridge, say after the 3 or 4 week mark, and leaving in the fridge for an extended time have benefits? These are all ales because I have no way of controlling lager temps.

Back