Fermentation advice for first sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoWBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a 15-gallons saison batch that I was planning on splitting. I planned on 5-gallons for a sour and 10-gallons for my regular saison. Unfortunately, I dropped my glass carboy full of wort for the sour. The other 10-gallons finished out with the Belle Saison at 1.001. I decided to go ahead with the sour using the WLP650 BRETTANOMYCES BRUXELLENSIS that I had already started.

To give the brett something to eat, I added 12-ounces of fresh kumquats and about a 1.5 gallons of fresh wort. Any advice on how long and what temp to ferment? Is it worth adding more fruit over time? I am planning on bottling and bottle conditioning once it is done.

Brett won't make a beer sour. You need bacteria like lactobacillus, pediococcus, and acetobacter to get sour beer.

That was originally my intent. I wanted the Roselare blend or the white labs American farmhouse, but my LHBS let me down. Any ideas on what I will get with the wlp 650? Or temps/Times for fermentation?

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Brett won't make a beer sour. You need bacteria like lactobacillus, pediococcus, and acetobacter to get sour beer.

After reading your post, I have been doing research. Here is one example of BYO of referring to Brett beers as sours.

Brett Basics

Brettanomyces is a souring agent and will produce both lactic and acetic acids. It will normally only produce a relatively low level of acetic acid and even then only under aerobic (with oxygen) conditions. Extended aging in wood allows a slow penetration of oxygen, resulting in some acetic acid in the beer. The Rodenbach Brewery has to periodically disassemble their large oak aging vats to scrape the inside of the wood staves to maintain the proper oxygen penetration rate in order to get their desired level of sourness.

Although some strains of brett can contribute small amounts of acid, it would not be something anyone would call a sour beer. Rodenbach has a lot of acid, definitely from bacteria. There is brett in there, but thats not where the bulk of the acid comes from.

Back