Fermentation...2 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2904

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a recipe and it says to ferment for 14 daysand then bottle/secondary ferment?

Why 2 weeks? the fermentation proccess can be much faster, some even end after 3 days.
My question is, is it really do something to the beer if I ferment for so long? I cannot believe that the fermentation only ends at 14 day...so lets say it ends after 1 week, why the next week used for?

The yeast does some cleanup after fermentation is done, and it takes a while for particles floating in the beer to fall to the bottom. Wait if you want clear(er) beer.

The yeast does some cleanup after fermentation is done, and it takes a while for particles floating in the beer to fall to the bottom. Wait if you want clear(er) beer.

so is it just for the clean up? doesnt add anything else to the beer?
cuz mabye I should just cold crash for clean up instead of waiting the whole week?

Patience is key for tasty brew. But if you are absolutely time crunched I've had some beers grain to glass drinking in 10 days fine and not suffer too much(Centennial Blonde).

The clean up he is referring to is the yeast actually reabsorbing products of fermentation that can be perceived as off flavors, such as diacetyl and others.

IMO secondary is not necessary so I tend to give the beer 2 weeks in primary no matter what, just part of the maturing process.

Can't wait? after beer hits Final Gravity (search force ferment test for method of reliable anticipated FG) give it 2-3 days of slightly warming for yeast to finish up and then go ahead and crash or bottle.

Patience is key for tasty brew. But if you are absolutely time crunched I've had some beers grain to glass drinking in 10 days fine and not suffer too much(Centennial Blonde).

The clean up he is referring to is the yeast actually reabsorbing products of fermentation that can be perceived as off flavors, such as diacetyl and others.

IMO secondary is not necessary so I tend to give the beer 2 weeks in primary no matter what, just part of the maturing process.

Can't wait? after beer hits Final Gravity (search force ferment test for method of reliable anticipated FG) give it 2-3 days of slightly warming for yeast to finish up and then go ahead and crash or bottle.
alright thank you very much...any by secondary ferment people mean to just move it to another carboy without all the trub right?

alright thank you very much...any by secondary ferment people mean to just move it to another carboy without all the trub right?
yes, that's right

sometimes the last three or four points can take a week after apparent fermentation is over to ferment out. just make sure whatever you package is finished fermenting.

Latest posts

Back