Fermentasaurus vs Conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzygone

Reaction score
I’m hoping we can have a little “Fermentation theory” session here to try and educate myself.

I’m looking to improve my fermentation process, but I don’t really want to add a modified refrigerator to the mix (due to lack of space & wife demands...)

And I’ve saved a bit of coin that would allow me to invest a bit in a new fermentation device. But I’m stuck:

Fermentasaurus PROs:
1: pressurized fermentation
A: no need to force carb my kegs
B: less chance of esters?
2: clear vessel (can monitor progress)
3: sealed system (less chance of oxidation when dry hopping
4: inexpensive (compared to stainless conicals)
5: closed loop transfers to keg

Fermentasaurus Cons
1: no easy way to maintain temperature
2: clear vessel (light damage?)
3: plastic (prone to scratches)

Stainless Conical (Grainfather, SS Brewtech, etc)
1: easier to clean
2: options for automatic cooling/heating without fridge
3: longer life-span?
4: prettier?
5: no light exposure

Stainless cons:
1: Price
2: no pressurized fermentation option
3: oxygen exposure during dry hopping?

That’s what I’ve come up with for pros and cons: can anybody sway me one direction or another?

I don't see how there's less chance of oxidation dry hopping the fermentasaurus compared to a stainless conical. Also closed system transfers are not unique to the fermentasaurus as most stainless conicals have adapters to allow CO2 hook up. It's true that most don't allow full pressure fermentation or carbonation levels, though there are some keg style fermenters out there that can allow pressurized fermentation. Blichmann makes one.

Educate me, how can a PET bottle allow for full pressure carbonation but a stainless steel container can't? Even with the same wall thicknes the stainless steel would hold the pressure better. Wouldn't it?
I guess the maker needs a special authorization to produce and sell pressurised fermenters, but that don't means it won't hold a few bars... IMHO

Maybe I haven’t come across a affordable stainless steel option that has a pressure fermentation kit. I guess I need to do more digging and research.

Educate me, how can a PET bottle allow for full pressure carbonation but a stainless steel container can't? Even with the same wall thicknes the stainless steel would hold the pressure better. Wouldn't it?
I guess the maker needs a special authorization to produce and sell pressurised fermenters, but that don't means it won't hold a few bars... IMHO

More info on the fermentasaurus. The every 2 year hydro testing sounds like a pain.
"The Fermentasauras was developed through a four year process of R&D. It is made from a special grade of PET, has a working pressure of 2.5 bar (35 psi). Additionally every single unit is tested in the factory to 8 bar (112 psi) before being released for sale. The Fermentasaurus needs to be hydro tested, or the PET body replaced, every two years. That test by date is printed on the fermenter."

I don't think I'd assume anything stainless is safe to hold high pressures. There must be a reason all these regular stainless fermenters are specifically equipped with pressure relief valves set to 2-5 psi.

Maybe I haven’t come across a affordable stainless steel option that has a pressure fermentation kit. I guess I need to do more digging and research.

Here are a couple that can hold pressure. I guess it depends what you mean by affordable.

https://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/cornical
https://williamswarn.com/product/brewkeg/brewkeg25-litre/

Back