Underpitched Starter - Would the beer taste noticably different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_caro

Reaction score
This is hypothetical question about beer quality based on yeast health.

We are told about optimal pitching rates for starters and that under-pitching (too little yeast into a large starter) will result in bud scarring and the like.

Assume I intend to make a brew that recommends pitching 247bn cells and I have my stir-plate.

Now if we choose K. Troester setting on the stir plate drop down in Yeastcalc it will tell us that starting with 1ml of month old yeast put into a 1.75L starter will yield around 247Bn cells . That is to say the 0.75bn viable cells multiplied 330 x.

My understanding is that the 247bn cells have varying degrees of scar damage due to the under-pitching. The early ones most scarred and the latest ones healthiest?

If I use J.Zainesheff setting then to get the same number of cells using 1 month old yeast I would need to pitch a full vial / smackpack containing around 100bn cells. A multiplication of only 2.47 x.

Has anyone done any comparisons on the results of using the yeast produced in the above 2 starters? Is there any available articles?
In both instances the recommended number of viable cells are to be pitched but will the beer quality suffer in the brew made from the starter which was under-pitched due to likely damaged cells?

Back