Fermentability question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I boiled 2qts of unhopped wort down to ~ 8oz of caramelized brown malt syrup to use in an upcoming brew. Will this sugar be fermentable?

I don't see why it wouldn't be? Was it from an actual mash? What was the origin?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made the wort by mashing 1lb of base malt. I thought the syrup might not be fermentable because the sugar was caramelized by boiling.

Caramelization doesn't significantly reduce fermentability until very high temperatures are reached. Neither does the Maillard reaction. You simply get a lot of coloring power and associated flavors for a relatively low amount of weight. Yeast still has the ability to consume the sugars involved in both reactions.

The answer depends on how much sugar remains. Caramelization (and Maillard reactions) convert sugars (and, in the case of Maillard, amino acids) into a host of compounds which are not fermentable. But not all the sugar is, in either case, converted. Does the syrup taste sweet? If it does, then there is still a lot of potentially fermentable sugar in there.

Latest posts

Back