Ferment wine in a conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamnRedhead

Reaction score
Hey all,
About to buy my first wine kit, and was wondering if I could ferment it in my 7-gallon stainless conical fermenter, or if it's highly recommended I buy a 6G glass carboy? I can figure out the 6g mark pretty well, and it seems it may not overflow as easily when outgassing... so... thoughts from the experts? I searched some threads but got less than helpful conversations, haha.

Glass carboys are dangerous in my opinion and difficult to clean. Go for conical, even getting rid of lees will be easy. Add some grapes as well, lightly punctured to add body. Or add some raisins.

I am in the process of using my 14g conical for fermenting a Viognier from fresh grapes. I say go for it!

I am in the process of using my 14g conical for fermenting a Viognier from fresh grapes. I say go for it!
+1
Been making wine since the mid-70s. Used everything imaginable to ferment in: plastic fermentation buckets, glass carboys, Better Bottles, Speidel jugs; you name it, I've used it.

The best thing I ever did was to take my 7 gallon SS Brew Bucket to use as my wine making fermenter. Sanitize everything, pour in the must, reconstitute to the 6 gallon mark with water (I prefer R.O.), add whatever adjuncts are included, stir very gently just to mix, sprinkle yeast, and cap the fermenter. Attach an air lock or blowoff line if you prefer, and don't touch ANYTHING for three weeks.

What could be easier?

Rack to a glass carboy, stir in the sorbate and sulfites, add oak spirals or cubes if desired, put the carboy in a cool, DARK place. Don't do anything else except keep the airlock filled with water for 2 months (whites) or 6 to 12 months (for reds).

Bottle and enjoy. And DON'T believe the myth that it only takes 4~8 weeks to make good wine. You CAN make very good table wines. It's not difficult, but it does take time. And stainless steel conicals for fermentation and glass for aging make it better.

+1
Been making wine since the mid-70s. Used everything imaginable to ferment in: plastic fermentation buckets, glass carboys, Better Bottles, Speidel jugs; you name it, I've used it.

The best thing I ever did was to take my 7 gallon SS Brew Bucket to use as my wine making fermenter. Sanitize everything, pour in the must, reconstitute to the 6 gallon mark with water (I prefer R.O.), add whatever adjuncts are included, stir very gently just to mix, sprinkle yeast, and cap the fermenter. Attach an air lock or blowoff line if you prefer, and don't touch ANYTHING for three weeks.

What could be easier?

Rack to a glass carboy, stir in the sorbate and sulfites, add oak spirals or cubes if desired, put the carboy in a cool, DARK place. Don't do anything else except keep the airlock filled with water for 2 months (whites) or 6 to 12 months (for reds).

Bottle and enjoy. And DON'T believe the myth that it only takes 4~8 weeks to make good wine. You CAN make very good table wines. It's not difficult, but it does take time. And stainless steel conicals for fermentation and glass for aging make it better.

The wine kit I made a Cabernet Sauvignon from had me put it in a carboy after fermentation for only 3 weeks. I haven't bottled it yet, but sounds like from your advice above I should just leave it in the carboy for quite a bit longer?

The wine kit I made a Cabernet Sauvignon from had me put it in a carboy after fermentation for only 3 weeks. I haven't bottled it yet, but sounds like from your advice above I should just leave it in the carboy for quite a bit longer?
I do. Just as in beer brewing I've gotten away from 'secondary' fermentations. So rather than fermenting from OG down to about 1.010 SG, racking to a carboy, continuing fermentation to FG around 0.998 or less, then racking again for clarification, stabilization,etc, for an additional 4 weeks or so for "settling and aging", I eliminate 'secondary.'

My normal process is ferment in an SS Brew Bucket (7 gal.) until FG is reached, usually 3-4 weeks. Add sorbates and clarifiers, stir gently, attach an airlock and place in a cool dark place for a month or so. Then rack off the lees to bulk age, add sulfites and oak if desired. Age 2 months for whites, 8-10 months for reds. Bottle. Rest for 8 weeks. Drink!

Back