Ferment temp curve - does importance drop off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normzone

Reaction score
I'm trying to push the capacity of my limited brew zone and equipment.

I'm using Whitelabs California Ale yeast (considering playing with some dry yeast) and while I have a small refrigerator with a temperature controller that will hold one carboy, and an area for t-shirted carboys in trays of water with a fan, I'm wondering if there is any dropoff in the importance of controlling temperature.

My house ambient is currently 70 - 80. If I ferment for the first week in the refrigerator, can I safely shift to a less controlled zone after that with minimal effect?

Or is it important for all 4 or more weeks of ferment to stay at the sub 70 degree level?

Thanks all
Norman

Others will disagree but I've found it's really just the first 3-4 days that are critical for temp control, especially with that yeast. I keep my brews around 68-insh until active fermentation is complete plus a day or two. Than I move them into an air-conditioned closet at around 75 degrees for the rest of fermentation.

Others will disagree but I've found it's really just the first 3-4 days that are critical for temp control, especially with that yeast. I keep my brews around 68-insh until active fermentation is complete plus a day or two. Than I move them into an air-conditioned closet at around 75 degrees for the rest of fermentation.

Much thanks, [Ravenshead].

The closest I can come to an air conditioned closet is my spare room with carboys sitting in 4 - 6 inches of water playing "Wet T-Shirt" with the fan blowing on them. Ambient is approximately 75F.

When you say you keep them 68-ish, is that the external temp or are you measuring inside the carboy?

Ravenshead said:

I agree. I brew every weekend so I just change out the previous batch for the current. My ferm chamber hold 2-3. Usually 2. So mine stay temp controlled at 60-65 for 2 weeks then 1-3 at 72.

Latest posts

Back