Ferment in bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttster

Reaction score
I have had my wort in a carboy for a day now and there is a good half inch of sediment o the bottom. Would it be wise (or would it have been wise a day ago?) to siphon it into the final bottling bucket? My bucket has a hole to fit the air lock.
That way I will 1.) not have to stir up the sediment again when I get to bottling, 2.) be easier to clean, and 3.) I can use the faucet for checking SG.

I agree with both previous replies. Leave it be and let it ferment out. Besides, If you are still bottling not, kegging, you will need to rack to a bucket to stir in your priming sugar. If you bucket it now and stir in the priming sugar, you will still have a lot of sediment at the bucket bottom that you will have to rack the beer off of or have it stirred up in your beer when you bottle. You want to leave all that drap behind.

ditch the carboy. ferment in your bucket. Cold crash in same. measure out priming sugar for each bottle and bottle straight from the bucket tap. leave all the crap behind in the bottom of the bucket.

Latest posts

Back