FermcapS Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
I see a lot of people endorsing this product on various threads. But did not see a specific answer to this question...

When adding at the "2 drops per gallon at the start of fermentation" ... is the implication that we should add to wort after cooling, when pitching yeast? Or after yeast is pitched and fermentation is underway?

I'm not a huge fan of putting anything but yeast in my beer post-boil (hops aside).

Is this the correct process?

I've added it at various points, but all pre-fermentation. Sometimes to the boil (if I'm doing a partial volume on the stove), sometimes after cooling and just before pitching the yeast. Once the yeast is pitched, I do nothing but leave my beer alone to the experts!

Any time will work. I usually add it when I pour the wort into the fermenter. My understanding is that it is inert and does not mix with the wort. If nothing is happening to the wort/beer, it drops and sits on the bottom, but when there is activity, it gets stirred up with the rest of the trub.

I see a lot of people endorsing this product on various threads. But did not see a specific answer to this question...

When adding at the "2 drops per gallon at the start of fermentation" ... is the implication that we should add to wort after cooling, when pitching yeast? Or after yeast is pitched and fermentation is underway?

I'm not a huge fan of putting anything but yeast in my beer post-boil (hops aside).

Is this the correct process?

I always just add a few drops right at the hot break, after your first hop additions go in the wort. Right when you think your boil is "peaking" plop that stuff in there and you won't have to worry about boil overs. This seems to carry over into fermentation, as i've never had any foam in my airlock or blowoff issues even with beer that had an O.G. of 1.075.

I typically add the 2-3 drops per gallon just before it hits boil. Depending on how close to the top of the fermenter I am, I sometimes add some more (before pitching the yeast in). I often let the oxygenation process tell me if I'll need more fermcap. If the 60-90 second O2 infusion produces enough foam to get [very] close to the fermenter opening, then I'll add some more. Otherwise, I don't. I've had some foam-outs in primary when not adding any fermcap before pitching the yeast (even when added to the boil).

Try it both ways with as close to identical recipes as you can get. Then decide for yourself...

BTW, I do use it in my starters so that I don't have foam-overs on my stirplate.

I use it for the boil, and anytime I'm even close to 5 gallon volume or higher in the fermenter. I don't use the recommend amount, maybe 4-5 drops in a 5 gallon batch boil, and 2-3 in the same for fermenter. It helps. The stuff is like magic.

Latest posts

Back