Fermcap working?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movet22

Reaction score
(I hope this is the right thread)

I used fermcap for my current Pils that I made on Monday. This is also the first time that I am using a corny to ferment. I used the fermcap to try and control the blow off b/c I put ~4.75 gallons in a 5 gallon corny.

My results seems to have been staggering. I was getting worried that I didn't aerate enough and that the yeast hadn't started, but I opened the lid today and saw what looked to be signs of fermentation.

I have seen ZERO signs of blowoff in the tube I set up. Is it possible that fermcap can really work THIS well?

PS- it was also my first lager, so I know the yeast is 'bottom fermenting', does this mean that I'd have less upward activity because of that as well?

Fermcap is phenomenal stuff, both in the boil and in the fermenter. I can have 2-3" of krausen in a carboy without or less than 1/2" when I use Fermcap.

Worked great in boil kettle. Almost no hot break more than 1 inch. Did nothing for me in fermenter though. Used 3787 and 3 drops of Fermcap due to limited head space, still blow of like crazy even with strict temperature control.

Yes...the point is you WANT to have ZERO signs of blowoff in the tube you set up. ;)

It never ceases to amaze me what folks worry about on here sometimes...You use a product that does exactly what it's supposed to do, and you get nervous, because you don't see what you are using the product to prevent it from doing. :fro:

I'm afraid of that stuff, they used to use it in breast implants but quit due to safety concerns. I know you only use a few drops but it never really goes away so if you use it in every batch eventually you will drink the whole bottle.

I'm afraid of that stuff, they used to use it in breast implants but quit due to safety concerns. I know you only use a few drops but it never really goes away so if you use it in every batch eventually you will drink the whole bottle.

*sigh*

It's simethecone, the same thing that's been used in anti-gas medication forever.....If you or your child take or have taken any of the following. All you really are ingesting, if any actually gets through the end of the process after being left behind in the trub of the boil kettle, the yeast layer of your fermenter and your racking into the bottling bucket or keg, is a highly highly highly dilluted amount.

Alka-Seltzer Anti-Gas

Anti-Gas

Anti-Gas-80

Baby Gas

Bicarsim

Colic Drops

Colicon

Degas

Equalize Gas Relief Drops

Ez2go Zero

Flatulex Drops

Gas Aide

Gas-X

Gas-X Extra Strength

Gas-X Liquid Extra Strength

Gas-X Maximum Strength

Genasyme

Infantaire Gas Relief

Little Tummys

Maalox Anti-Gas

Maalox Anti-Gas Extra Strength

Majorcon

Maximum Strength Mylanta Gas

Mi-Acid Gas Relief

Micon-80

Mylanta Gas

Mylanta Gas Relief Geltab

Mylaval

Mylicon

Mytab Gas

Pediacare Gas Relief

Pediacare Infant Gas Relief

Phazyme

Phazyme 125

Phazyme Maximum Strength

Phazyme Ultra

Phazyme-125 Softgels Maximum Strength

Phazyme-95

Rx-Act Gas Relief Extra Strength

SonoRx

It's also in, It's in:

French fries
Chicken nuggets
Fish fries
Some sodas
Frying oils
ALMOST anything where foam becomes a problem...Shampoos, soaps, dishwashing powders and on and on....

Chemical action and pharmaceutical effects

Simethicone is an anti-foaming agent that decreases the surface tension of gas bubbles, causing them to combine into larger bubbles in the stomach that can be passed more easily. Simethicone does not reduce or prevent the formation of gas in the digestive tract, rather, it increases the rate at which it exits the body.[3] However, simethicone can relieve pain caused by gas in the intestines by decreasing foaming which then allows for passing of flatulence. Simethicone is not absorbed by the body into the bloodstream, and is therefore considered relatively safe. National Institutes of Health (NIH)[4] reports there are usually no side effects when simethicone is taken as directed. Although simethicone has also been promoted as a treatment for colic, randomised controlled trials have not demonstrated efficacy for such use.[5][6]

Simethicone solutions of differing concentration also have industrial applications for reducing foaming in certain chemical processes.

The use of simethicone can help reduce visual obstructions caused by intestinal gas during ultrasounds of the abdomen, although it has no effect on extraluminal gas outside the colon.

Simethicone is used in some detergents when foaming is unwanted.

Simethicone is also used in the fermentation process to reduce the shearing of proteins by agitation.
Side effects

The most common adverse effects of simethicone are gastrointestinal symptoms, including mild diarrhea, nausea, regurgitation, and vomiting.[9]

Been there done that, did the research.

I mean i was only asking about the farts because it could be useful in getting rid of the day after drinking beer farts

*sigh*

It's simethecone, the same thing that's been used in anti-gas medication forever.....If you or your child take or have taken any of the following. All you really are ingesting, if any actually gets through the end of the process after being left behind in the trub of the boil kettle, the yeast layer of your fermenter and your racking into the bottling bucket or keg, is a highly highly highly dilluted amount.

It's also in, It's in:

French fries
Chicken nuggets
Fish fries
Some sodas
Frying oils
ALMOST anything where foam becomes a problem...Shampoos, soaps, dishwashing powders and on and on....

Been there done that, did the research.

Good posting!

Back