Ferm Temp Dropped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsdws

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fermenting my first beer in my homemade fermentation chamber (small chest freezer with Inkbird and small Lasko heater) since it's gotten cold. The chamber is in my unheated garage.

I brewed an Irish Red Ale last Sunday and pitched the 1084 and settled everything into the chamber with probe taped to the side of fermenter and insulated from ambient temp. Everything was chugging along for a couple of days with active fermentation and airlock burping so I let it go and didn't check on it for a couple of days.

On Saturday morning I noticed that the controller was calling for heat but the probe temp was only 43 degrees. I investigated and found that the little Lasko 200 watt heater was dead. I replaced it with a small space heater from the house and by late yesterday recovered probe/wort temp back up to 67 deg and all is well. I gave the carboy a little swirl at about 65 degrees along the way. Come to find out, the little Lasko must have a temp overload protection and would kick out. Long story short....I figured that out and found a way to leave a small crack in the lid of the freezer and we're moving along again holding ferm temps at 67 no worries.

Am I safe to assume my yeast woke back up and are finishing the job? There is no airlock activity, but that had likely slowed or stopped prior to the temp plunge anyway.

Do you know if the heater got too hot and that's why the overload protection kicked in? If the yeast got way too warm, that could certainly affect the flavor of the beer. If it just got too cold, the yeast should become active again as the temperature rises.

You're likely past the point where strict temp control and resulting off flavors happen after a week. You do want the yeast to finish up. Personally, I'd let it ride another week and check hydrometer reading.

That's my assumption as it's a small chest freezer. The ambient temp in the freezer gets pretty warm before the wort temp moves accordingly. With a small crack in the freezer lid it seems to be doing just fine. I don't think the wort temp would have gotten too warm as I was trying to maintain 65deg wort temp.

Take a hydrometer reading and see if it's down to the target FG or at least close. If it is, all you need to do is let it finish for another week or so. Take a taste while you're at it.

I use a similar fermentation chamber setup but instead of a space heater, I use an off brand ferm-wrap (about $25 on Amazon,) plugged into the Inkbird with the probe inserted into a thermowell, (about $9 on Amazon.) I'm able to maintain set temp + or - 1F, (lowest setting on the Inkbird.) Used this setup for 10ish beers without problems. Not really answering your question but I hope this helps!

I use a similar fermentation chamber setup but instead of a space heater, I use an off brand ferm-wrap (about $25 on Amazon,) plugged into the Inkbird with the probe inserted into a thermowell, (about $9 on Amazon.) I'm able to maintain set temp + or - 1F, (lowest setting on the Inkbird.) Used this setup for 10ish beers without problems. Not really answering your question but I hope this helps!

That would be soooo much better than the little heater and the probe taped to the side of the fermenter with insulation over it!!! That would take a lot of variables out and provide more accuracy.

Thanks!!!

I also should stress the need to have a small fan to circulate air inside the chamber, which will help even out hot spots

Fermwrap will make you life a lot easier . Like Balrog said it was pretty much done by the time the temp dropped . I think those crucial days are the first 3 .

Back