Ferm Fridge Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie_Man

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm wondering how does one best control the temperature of their beer in a ferm fridge?

I'm using a Johnson control single stage controller with the probe dangling near my glass carboy. This doesn't seem to be working very well as the fermometer strip and the ambient temperature in the fridge are off by about 5-10 degrees. I can keep dialing the temperature down, but is there a better way to approach this as opposed to my guess and test method? Can the controller probe be place in water, or just adhered to the carboy? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tape it to the side of your carboy. The ambient temperature means nothing. What you care about is the fluid temperature in your carboy. By the time the temperature probe is the right temp, it should soak nicely into the middle of the fluid.

Problem is, if you use a thermocouple you'll overshoot the temperature drop. Thats why I find the side of the vessel is a good place to measure as it will eventually soak in to the middle.

I do this on my corny kegs and carboys. I just insulate the probe with some duct tape and foam.

Tape it to the side of your carboy. The ambient temperature means nothing. What you care about is the fluid temperature in your carboy. By the time the temperature probe is the right temp, it should soak nicely into the middle of the fluid.

Problem is, if you use a thermocouple you'll overshoot the temperature drop. Thats why I find the side of the vessel is a good place to measure as it will eventually soak in to the middle.

I do this on my corny kegs and carboys. I just insulate the probe with some duct tape and foam.

What he said +1

Latest posts

Back