Ferm Chamber Freezer Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 5.2 cu FT freezer, I can fit 2 7 Gal fermenting buckets , one on the floor and one on the hump. I have a 6" collar with my fermentor. As far as the other sizes i have no idea

I have a 5.2 cu FT freezer, I can fit 2 7 Gal fermenting buckets , one on the floor and one on the hump. I have a 6" collar with my fermentor. As far as the other sizes i have no idea
Oh, that's a good idea. I didnt even think of that.

It’s a tight squeeze, but doable. I added the second just for show.. fermenting now is a SA Boston ale clone

Attachments

• 3F64A954-13F0-4C27-8052-E47854F5B92D.jpeg
    3F64A954-13F0-4C27-8052-E47854F5B92D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • 7D28266A-6BEB-4753-9FF8-9F376B79F149.jpeg
    7D28266A-6BEB-4753-9FF8-9F376B79F149.jpeg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 61
Mine's 7 cu ft and it will hold two Brew Buckets or two 6 gal carboys.

Perviously had a 5 cu ft model and I quickly regretted not getting a bigger one, as I could only fit one fermenter (and a 3 gal carboy on the hump). If you think you might do 10 gal batches or two 5 gal batches, consider a larger freezer.

Yeah, might go for 7cu ft with a collar? Idk yet. I'm hoping to move soon, and might have to move the brew room from the basement to the garage, and it won't stay as cool out there. The price difference from 7 to anything bigger seems like quite a jump. I've been doig 3-4 batches at a time lately just because I don't always know when I'll have time to brew.

I found a good deal on a 9.2 cubic ft freezer. Does anyone know if that would fit 3 buckets without using the hump? It's hard to see from the pictures. Does anyone have one by any chance?

Often upright freezers use "fixed" wire shelves festooned with evaporator loop tubing which makes them difficult to use for brewing. While some folks have been successful at bending such shelves to the back wall, others have murdered their freezers in the attempt...

Cheers!

Good to know. I've been seeing lots of good deals on used ones, but I'll stay away. Thanks!
Often upright freezers use "fixed" wire shelves festooned with evaporator loop tubing which makes them difficult to use for brewing. While some folks have been successful at bending such shelves to the back wall, others have murdered their freezers in the attempt...

Cheers!

Good to know. I've been seeing lots of good deals on used ones, but I'll stay away. Thanks!
Older upright freezers have the coils in the shelves. Most modern ones, say, from the past 15-20 years don't, they use an evaporator and a fan behind a back panel, with the intake on the bottom and the outlet on the top, blowing ice cold air.

I own 2 of those latter ones, they're wonderful! I can fit 2 6.5 gallon buckets on the bottom, or 5 ball lock kegs (removing the lower part of the shelf panel in the door).

Back