Fementing? Re-pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sublevel007

Reaction score
So I got lazy and purchased a kit instead of a full all grain on 12/31. I brewed it on 1/1. It is a black IPA, partial match kit. I hit my temp and remained steady for the full 30 min. The directions required on the mash. I actually let it go an additional 15 min just to ensure completed conversion. I used the San Francisco super yeast (liquid). When I use liquid yeast I always run a blow off on my primary to avoid a block airlock. However I'm almost 4 full days in and not seeing any activity in my blow container. I mix a tiny bit of starsan in so I know there is activity when the bubbles form. Should I re pitch at this time. I am afraid to open up the primary is there is a bunch of foam built up plus I want to limit the air exposure. Any ideas guys.

You will need to look into the bucket for signs of a krausen ring. Fermentation may be going, just with not enough force to put CO2 through the blow off tube. The CO2 may be escaping around the rim of the bucket. Gently lifting the lid will not risk oxidation of the beer if the fermentation is going because of the CO2 production.

+1 ^

4 days should be long enough for positive signs of fermentation. *See note.

Are you using a bucket? You can look down the grommet hole for signs. Use a flashlight. Have you taken a gravity reading yet? I snake a skinny 1/4" hose down the grommet hole and siphon some beer out for a hydro sample. You can use a refractometer instead if you know the OG.

If you must remove the lid, as long as you sanitize well underneath the rim (spray Starsan) before lifting it, you're pretty safe there. I also use a Starsan soaked small washcloth to mop around the lid and rim area.

*Note:
With liquid yeasts you really should make a good size starter before pitching. One pouch is not enough for 5 gallons. Plus it guarantees the yeast is alive.

You will need to look into the bucket for signs of a krausen ring. Fermentation may be going, just with not enough force to put CO2 through the blow off tube. The CO2 may be escaping around the rim of the bucket. Gently lifting the lid will not risk oxidation of the beer if the fermentation is going because of the CO2 production.

*this* Plus, you could try a gentle sloshing (to aerate), and bump the ferm temp a couple degrees. What was your pitching temp? Too warm, you could have killed off some yeast cells. Too cold, they just aren't awake. And what is your ferm temp? You should be seeing activity in the 60-70 degree range. If you used LME, it is typically low in nutrients because it has been diluted and yeast needs a healthy dose of nutrients to live and reproduce. Wait a couple days and if there is no apparent activity, check again for krausen. If not, re-pitch.
And maybe add a yeast nutrient.

I had both LMS and DME in this boil. I did aerate pretty good prior to pitching. Pitching temp was 71 and remain steady now at 70 which is the warmest I can get in that part of the basement. I've always used one vial of liquid yeast for a 5 gal batch with no starter. I love every had a couple of explosions of my fermenter due to clicked airlocks. This one is in a 6 gal white plastic bucket. Would it hurt to re pitch even if fermenting is going on now?. I'd rather have it fully ferment for sure then hope and have something not fully complete

Open it up, look for signs of a krausen. Take a hydrometer reading if only the krausen ring remains. The fermentation may be done. Just needs more time to finish the clean up and clearing.

Listen to everyone else first. If you are going to re-pitch, you'll be opening the bucklet anyway. TAKE A GRAVITY READING. It will answer your questions as to whether or not any fermentation has been happening. If there has a been a decent drop in gravity, just leave it alone and make sure the lids sealed

Side note: 70 is the "warmest" temp you can get? That seems a bit high for a black IPA. I see most people trying to keep it in the low 60s, definitely below 70

Maybe I'm wrong (I am a noob) but if you had some dead yeast or possible killed it, I would think repitching with an active starter my be your best option. Obviously confirming your gravity hasn't infact dropped and you just missed active fermention, which doesn't sound like the case. Plus it'll give you a couple more days to see if something happens.

Ok so I just got home (long day ) went down stair to take a hydro reading and must have had some crazy fermentation today. The Krause came up through my blow off tube and some into the container. We are good just an extremely slow start

View attachment 1420507136444.jpg

If that fermentation is going as crazy as some of mine, I'd suggest draining half of the water in that jug, trust me. I've come home from work and couldnt believe the amount of material that went through the tube, filled my blowoff vessel, and was getting sticky on the floor

edit: oops this is 3 day later. No way it'd still be going strong

Back