[Feeler] Any Interest in Digital Tap Lists?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nice thing about this is, if you are not going to run the keg column with flow meters or the future temperature gauge then you can host this on a hosting account instead of a pi, so you wouldn't have to do any Linux install tasks. If you want to use it for just the display of info and etc. then shoot save yourself the time.

Is there any easy/dirty way to get the new hop and keep my db? I tried some rudimentary copy/past but it didn't work.. Its no big deal either way.

thanks

unfortunately the way the IBU's pull and calculate you would need to update to the current db version :(

Yea, I figured so, I backed up the old and installed the new. I went back and tried to do the instructions T gave me, but it looks as if they changed just enough to now not make them work. If there is a semi-easy way for you to type it out (or I can always to a teamviewer session or the like), that would rock.. if not no biggie. I am pretty good at figuring stuff out usually.

thanks

Yeah, we are really active on the changes right now so if you have a version running and working, I would hold off until we get a steadier release up there. The current one on the github page is still missing alot as we are developing the features now. Looks great though BTW!!!!

Yeah, we are really active on the changes right now so if you have a version running and working, I would hold off until we get a steadier release up there. The current one on the github page is still missing alot as we are developing the features now. Looks great though BTW!!!!

No problem, I see some of the changes, I implemented the new background. Very exciting.

I had an idea, which may be stupid, but who knows it may be an alternative to flow sensors (although not nearly as cool, or potentially accurate).

What about this.. track pints by clicks on that tap number/name. User could enter weight of keg(or just ball park it with a full keg and 5 gallons). then input size of beer glass(we will say pints at 16oz), then when you grab beer you click the tap number or beer name, and it will deduct a pint(or XXoz). What do you think?

You could even get more sophisticated with a id badge/ rfid chip/ qr code by each tap(and use phone), or whatever that you would swipe over the tap to do the click. Obviously it would be user dependent to keep up with it but it would/could give you a semi accurate way to track keg volume.

Something like an "on click" deduct XXoz from keg

I had an idea, which may be stupid, but who knows it may be an alternative to flow sensors (although not nearly as cool, or potentially accurate).

What about this.. track pints by clicks on that tap number/name. User could enter weight of keg(or just ball park it with a full keg and 5 gallons). then input size of beer glass(we will say pints at 16oz), then when you grab beer you click the tap number or beer name, and it will deduct a pint(or XXoz). What do you think?

You could even get more sophisticated with a id badge/ rfid chip/ qr code by each tap(and use phone), or whatever that you would swipe over the tap to do the click. Obviously it would be user dependent to keep up with it but it would/could give you a semi accurate way to track keg volume.

Something like an "on click" deduct XXoz from keg

That would work as long as you are always taking XXoz pours.

IF you pour a taster glass (5 oz ) for your friend... well, you're now 5 oz unaccounted for. Those tasters could add up fast.

On another note... I noticed that with the recent (4 hours ago) updates its not letting me activate a beer on a tap at this point...

That would work as long as you are always taking XXoz pours.

IF you pour a taster glass (5 oz ) for your friend... well, you're now 5 oz unaccounted for. Those tasters could add up fast.

Sure, maybe a drop down box for the size of the pour?

On another note... I noticed that with the recent (4 hours ago) updates its not letting me activate a beer on a tap at this point...

Man I have been pulling my hair out with this!

I am able to add beers(no removal button though), personalize, but not add/edit taps. The funny thing about that is I added 2 just fine.. then boom the buttons stopped clicking for save/reset! This was starting at about 4ish pm central for me.

Will the release be able to be displayed on this type of monitor? I've only got 4 taps and no plans on expanding, so the other monitor is far too big for that need.

We've tested at 1920x1080, 1080x1920, 1200x1920. They all look good. I'm sure some smaller sizes would work fine for less tap than I have. I don't think I'd go below 1600x900 or 1680x1050*, but that's just me.

The Pi doesn't care what physical size the screen is. It doesn't know whether it's a 7" display or a 120" display.

Guys, will this project be something that someone with no electrical background and no familiarity with circuits be able to put together and use?

Definitely. You may have to pick up a soldering iron if you want flow meters, but the soldering is easy enough that a middle-schooler could assemble it with an hour's practice first.

Sorry about that. The tutorial already written is about 80% of the way there, and looking at the admin interface these guys are going the extra mile to make this usable. As an additional bonus the database layout is clean and I wouldn't be surprised if the code is as nice as well. This means the project can also be supported well into the future.

Thanks. Yeah, we're taking out time to do it right. Who knows if we'll be the ones maintaining this some day down the road.

We made the site private today because, well frankly, I don't want to spur anybody to build this before it's complete, then have to support an unfinished product. My limited time is better spent moving forward.

Also, this project was based on Kegerface. While it looks good, it was a lot of spaghetti code. I'm trying to avoid going back down that road. :)

Any monitor you can attach to the RaspberryPi will work, Most HDMI, DVI monitors should be fine. The Pi also has a RCA video out which should allow you to use an old TV, but I haven't tried it myself. This site goes into it a bit.

3 Ways to Display Your Raspberry Pi On a Monitor Or TV

Well, yeah. They kinda do.

Between #1 and #2, should be #1.5 - HDMI to DVI cable, or HDMI cable with HDMI-to-DVI adapter.

HDMI to VGA is lossy. I'd prefer it, given the choice of a digital connection. But I'd prefer it over the RCA connector.

For the flow meters it still looks like some soldering may be recommended, but I think breadboarding requires less skill than installing a light fixture. If you can hook up an Xbox or dvd player you should be fine. The only additional tool you should need would be a wire stripper to take the ends off the flow meters and expose the leads. I would wait for the full bill of materials and a photo guide if you have no experience.

Soldering will result in a much more durable and compact solution - and cheaper as well if you can pay for soldering in beer.

That being said I am still willing to sponsor an I/O board for the dev team if a suitable one is identified.

Breadboarding is an alternative. It will cost more and take longer, but it's possible. The breakout board is nice because it offers additional I/O pins and automatic voltage conditioning. It's also a lot better to fry a $3 chip than a $42 Pi.

Right now, I think we're pretty well into the MCP23017 direction. If you find a pre-assmembled board based on MCP23017 that features an IC socket, automatic 5V handling and a decent number of pins (or daisy chaining), shoot me a link via PM.

The bezel looks like a Samsung, but I could be wrong. The only reason I used a monster monitor is I wanted to add a TV to my bar area, and my desk was too crowded with dual monitors.

The Pi can be headless and you could use a cheap tablet with a browser if you liked as long as you have Wifi. If you don't need flow meters or other I/O and can supply a screen, All you need is a Pi, A micro usb charger from an old phone, an SD card, and maybe a video cable and something for data entry. If you add a wireless adapter, you can maintain it from a web browser on your network and probably don't require the mouse, keyboard and attached monitor except for when performing upgrades.

Oh my gosh, after writing this post I finally found a use for my blackberry playbook.

Yeah, you could theoretically use a tablet, I suppose. The bang for the buck in screen size isn't really there, but free is free.

Its just an old samsung 19" tv I had lying around after a I changed my home audio/automation over to ip based. My pi actually goes into a HDMI matrix switcher that I have, so I can pull up the pi/interface on any tv in the house.

It broadcasts a web server, so it can pull up on pretty anything that can pull up internet . You don't ever need a monitor either, you can always get to it using putty or the like for programming. I do most of my config during down time at work. Which is also easy to do by allowing some port forwarding at home.

Bryan

If my work firewalls weren't super aggressive, I might try.

Is there any easy/dirty way to get the new hop and keep my db? I tried some rudimentary copy/past but it didn't work.. Its no big deal either way.

thanks

Hrm. Not really.

Best way would be to export the beers table, drop the raspberrypints database, re-load the repository, and then import the schema.

If that's greek to you, you're best to wait for the public release.

Hrm. Not really.

Best way would be to export the beers table, drop the raspberrypints database, re-load the repository, and then import the schema.

If that's greek to you, you're best to wait for the public release.

Nope,I got it all up except for the little bug we found on adding beers to the tap.

EDIT: I was replying here to rabeb about fixed pours

I like that idea as well, but it has some interesting security implications.

You would almost want a listener service (which is certainly how RFID would need to be implemented anyway) to ensure a click for a given tap were no less than six seconds apart. You would not want to trigger a stored procedure in your DB for that validation, for those who open their RaspberryPints to the internet.

For visitors you would want to open up to the internet, so that way your QR code could open the link that increments the count. This would also mean ensuring the outside and inside names of the web server were the same, but that might cause problems if you have a router that chokes on loopback connections. (I'm looking at you neighbor brewer's netgear) Or you could accomplish it with split brains DNS, but most people don't run internal DNS or have a router that does DNS fixups for internal redirects. However Linksys and Asus routers generally handle the internal redirect fine, but the behavior is not 100%. You probably would need to off port it so that the network scanning virus du jour doesn't crush you Pi.

In my testing of the playbook, two browsers were so aggressive in repeated connections and timing out connections they temporarily locked up the Pi. I just wanted a browser that would stay open full screen. I've done a little bit of analysis and it seems that it might have just been caused by slamming the connection pool faster than apache could open listeners. Or maybe it went away just because I wanted to debug it. Grr.

thanks

Since we are still in early development we aren't keeping track of db changes. Once we release we will have two db scripts with each subsequent release. One being a fresh start, and the other being an update script. That way you won't lose any of your existing data.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

So, I know this is sort of a selfish request, but I will just ask. I have the version that was out right before lock down, and my adding beers to tap is not working( I know someone else was having the same issue. I was wondering if I could get access just to the fix? It would save me from having to redo everything and going back to the older db, if not its ok, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks
Bryan

So, I know this is sort of a selfish request, but I will just ask. I have the version that was out right before lock down, and my adding beers to tap is not working( I know someone else was having the same issue. I was wondering if I could get access just to the fix? It would save me from having to redo everything and going back to the older db, if not its ok, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks
Bryan

Bryan,

The source code is still out there. We're still publishing it live with every update.

What I locked down was the instructions. I didn't even get a chance to finish writing them before people started installing. Problem is, they weren't ready for the public. We have lots of changes every day (as you can see) that break/add functionality.

Patching and supporting unfinished versions are both huge time hogs. For now, it's better we work on the projects instead of devoting our limited time to support. In the future, we will be offering major version patching, as Jay mentioned above.

That said:

If you haven't spent a huge amount of time adding beers to the table, drop the db, empty /var/www, and start over. You'll get the most up to date version where we've fixed that issue.

Otherwise, I suggest waiting until release.

Bryan,

With all of the changes that have happened in the last few days, it would be really difficult to try and match up old structure with old structure. In this case 1+1 does not = 2, 1+1=75
LOL. The add beers option from the old version does not exist in the new version, we are currently working on that page.

No worries guys. For some reason when I clicked the link I thought it have me a countdown of some sort and not access I will check again.

Yea, I don't know what my problem was, its all there in the same place :)

So, where do the beers I create go? I see the defaults in the test_data. Just wondering because I want to change a typo, and not re-enter the beer.

Thanks

So, where do the beers I create go? I see the defaults in the test_data. Just wondering because I want to change a typo, and not re-enter the beer.

The defaults are actually what I have on tap right this moment. We moved them to test_data.sql because I essentially nuke my entire install and database after every major revision. This way, I tend to catch bugs a little quicker.

Beers go into the raspberrypints database, beers table.

Look into phpMyAdmin. If you followed the instructions, it's probably already installed.

Thadius,

I set here late last night and read this entire thread. this has got me excited and can't wait to see the finished product. You and the team you have working on this are some dedicated individuals and work really well together. I sent the link to this thread to the GreenBelt Brewers Association which is the brew club I am in in Davis, Ca. thanks again for being dedicated to this project.

V/r,
Jerry

DAVIS?! Jerry, I'm right up the hill from you. Hell, I'm in Fairfield a fair bit when my work takes me to Travis.

Been contemplating joining one of the Sacramento hbcs. MASH looks particularly interesting. Tho not sure if I want to get hooked on group brewing, since I want to build a 1 bbl system eventually. They aren't exactly portable (and require massive hookups!).

Edit: If you ever come visit Knee Deep Brewing Company, Roseville Brewing Company, or Sutter Buttes Brewing Company, I'll meet you and let you buy me a beer. ;)

Fairfield has heretic brewing just down from Travis. I can walk there and stumble home. I am stationed in Seattle right now and fly home to see the fam every now and then but next yr I retire from the military so I might have to take you up on the offer and visit the breweries up in your area. If you need help with the documentation let me know. I posted (well the jacked up quote post) the offer in github. Also since I am a electronics tech is you need any help with the pi and the flow meters let me know.

Just looked at the Thadius856.Servebeer website, and I'm not sure if that is the finished product, but I actually have some suggestions to make.

First, it looks like the ABV% is based on a max of 10%? Not sure why that is, but maybe above 10% gets three different pints/shot glasses? My suggestion would be to base it on 15% or (something thereabouts), and use one icon like the hops. So, 3% would be very low and 7.5% would be halfway. Anything above 15% would be maxed out. Maybe use an Erlenmeyer flask shape? Or, change the pint at the SRM for a circle and make the ABV just one pint with fill level based on alcohol percentage. I just think the that you pared the IBUs down to one icon and it looks much better...the ABV could use the same treatment.

Again...these are just suggestions.

Just looked at the Thadius856.Servebeer website, and I'm not sure if that is the finished product, but I actually have some suggestions to make.

First, it looks like the ABV% is based on a max of 10%? Not sure why that is, but maybe above 10% gets three different pints/shot glasses? My suggestion would be to base it on 15% or (something thereabouts), and use one icon like the hops. So, 3% would be very low and 7.5% would be halfway. Anything above 15% would be maxed out. Maybe use an Erlenmeyer flask shape? Or, change the pint at the SRM for a circle and make the ABV just one pint with fill level based on alcohol percentage. I just think the that you pared the IBUs down to one icon and it looks much better...the ABV could use the same treatment.

Those are shot glasses.

One 12 oz glass of 5% beer is equal to one 1.5 fl oz shot of 80-proof liquor.

Thusly:

5% ABV = 1 shot glass full
10% ABV = 2 shot glass full
over 10% ABV = 2 full shot glasses + spilled third

What beers are you drinking regularly that are over 10% ABV?

This looks awesome. I'm in.
Maybe it was already on one of the pages but do u have a parts list so I can start pulling stuff together so when your instructions come out I can just start. :mug:

I just was sent this link by my boss. Looks like we have a bit of competition. Not really, but its similar to what we are doing but for bars. There are a couple of cool ideas we should "borrow" from watching the video. They don't talk about how they track the amount, which would be interesting to see which way they chose, flow sensor vs weight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...d916ba-6910-11e3-a0b9-249bbb34602c_story.html

http://www.steadyserv.com/videos/a-tour-of-the-steadyserv-ikeg-mobile-app

Sure, maybe a drop down box for the size of the pour?
I think that's a nice compromise between being complicated with flow meters, but still having the ability to track approximately how much is left. I don't need it to be accurate to the ounce, but some idea of how much is left would be appreciated.

This article says "Hershberger’s iKeg system uses a sensor that goes under a beer keg to keep track of how many pints are left through changes in pressure."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...g-now-theres-an-app-for-that/article15526189/
That is pretty cool.

When you guys settle on a set of hardware, let me know. I could combine it all onto one custom board for you. I have selfish interests here ( I want a Raspberry Pints Taplist! )

I had a client that had a netduino and some peripheral stuff (alarms, etc), but he didn't want to continue buying the netduino and peripheral stuff. I just took the open-source netduino, removed unnecessary stuff from the schematic, added his peripherals, and gave him one small custom board. I can still debug it using Visual Studio and USB, just as before, including using the netduino API. I think your situation is similar.

I just was sent this link by my boss. Looks like we have a bit of competition. Not really, but its similar to what we are doing but for bars. There are a couple of cool ideas we should "borrow" from watching the video. They don't talk about how they track the amount, which would be interesting to see which way they chose, flow sensor vs weight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...d916ba-6910-11e3-a0b9-249bbb34602c_story.html

http://www.steadyserv.com/videos/a-tour-of-the-steadyserv-ikeg-mobile-app

Meh. Not really competition. They ONLY do keg level sensing. No public interface at all.

I was just making a suggestion from a non-computer code writing brewer. I'm an idea guy...a few patents and many designs under my belt. I could draw the design up, but would need someone else to make it work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Ok, I found something, not to add to the too much to the wish list, but apparently there is a beerXML interface. Since it looks like the intent of the beers table is to contain recipes, we could import them directly from Beer Smith.

http://www.beerxml.com/

I'll branch as you suggested above and see what you guys think. I know nothing about PHP, but no better way to learn than by having a problem.

I looked and there is a Promash converter, but according to the software poll over in brewing software the majority of folks here use Beer Smith, and Promash's release notes indicate it hasn't been updated since 2003. And the file format is proprietary so it is a much tougher problem to crack =).

You're welcome to branch, write this code up, and initiate a pull request.

I'd be willing to take a stab at this if it's deemed something people would like to pursue. I don't have any RaspberryPi hardware though. Is it possible for me to code and test it on my Windows machine instead of RaspberryPi? Worst case I could order a Pi but I was waiting until this project went gold before doing so.

I'd be willing to take a stab at this if it's deemed something people would like to pursue. I don't have any RaspberryPi hardware though. Is it possible for me to code and test it on my Windows machine instead of RaspberryPi? Worst case I could order a Pi but I was waiting until this project went gold before doing so.

You could work on it but you would need a web server to process the php because unlike html where the code is interpreted by the browser it is the server reading the php. you could always install WAMP which is a great testing environment for windows computers
http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Latest posts

Back