Feedback on Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolus14

Reaction score
I've tried using a couple spreadsheets tofigure out if i need to make any adjustments for my water. I'm pretty sure I need to but can find something that really pins it down.

Here's the info i can find for my local water:
average hardness is 210 mg/L or 12 gr/Gallon as CaCO3
total dissolved solids is 150 mg/L
Iron content is less than .050 mg/

Water report from Village:
http://www.horseheads.org/uploads/DPW/2013waterquality.pdf

Any help is appreciated. My main concern is that i seem to always have a "graininess" in lighter styles, it fades as the beer ages, but that makes it tough to make styles that are heavily wheat based or contain a lot of hop aroma or flavor since the aging fades those qualities as well.

Darker brews, such as stouts, porters, dubbels have been good for the most part but I feel there's still something lacking in them.

Additional, useful details gleaned from your water report:
Chloride 37.4 (Range 30.6-40.8) mg/L
Fluoride 0.8 (Range 0.4-1.1) mg/L
Sodium 26 (Range 19-42) mg/L
Sulfate 18 (Range 14-22) mg/L
Nitrate 0.53 (Range 0.13-1) mg/L

Chlorine Residual .7 (Range .25-1.2) mg/L

Overall I would say that with some pH management (assuming pH 7.6-8?) and chlorine management (campden), that it's reasonable water for many styles (given the available information). Perhaps not the lightest styles (pilsners, etc), but the water should not be the "graininess" culprit. I generally attribute a "graininess" to the use of pilsner malt. Also, you will want to manage the chlorine and the easiest way is by using campden tablets (I believe 1/2 tablet per 5-10 gallons is sufficient, and immediate).

Thanks. I just started using campden, only 1 batch so far. I have to start measuring my pH now. Only been brewing for about 2 years and just now looking into water treatment.

I have done a few Saisons, which have come out pretty good and did one pale ale I liked a lot. The other light style I've done wits, an american wheat, and hefe haven't been like commercial styles. Maybe its wheat styles, I tend to like commercial versions just haven't gotten close when home brewing.

Back