Feedback on Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gone_fishing

Reaction score
Last night I brewed Austin Homebrew's Bourbon Oaked Imperial Stout. All seemed to go very well. I nailed the OG at 1.087. Only problem was I cooled the wort down too much after adding chilled water to bring it up to 5.25 gallons. It was at 61* when I went to bed. The instructions say that Having the yeast at 72-78* for at least the first 24 hours will yield the best results. This morning I put the ferm bucket into my wash tub with warm water to bring the temps up. At 75* I am going to pull it out. The air lock has been bubbling like crazy so my yeast starter is obviously working.

My question is did I do the right thing?

Unfortunately, no. Those instructions are incorrect and by following them you have guaranteed yourself some off flavors because they develop soon after the active fermentation starts. Chill it into the 60's and you can limit them but you also may stall the ferment. For now you just need to be aware that the off flavors will be there and drink the beer you produced. Then burn those instructions.

For the best flavors you start the ferment at the cool end of the yeast's preferred range and then as the fermentation slows you begin warming the fermenter.

The idea for the warm start is to get the yeast going quickly and then cooling the beer but it is really hard to decide just when to start the cooling and once the yeast get well started it is very hard to cool them down as they are giving off heat from their activity.

Uggg, guess I should have left it alone. Just came home and it's gurgling like crazy. The lid was bulging big time so it's obviously cooking.

I would let the beer sit for a few days after fermentation is done to let the yeast try and clean things up as best they can...you might get a little diacetyl, so a D rest may help out also.

Starting at 61 Deg. F shouldn't be a problem. ....at least less of a problem than starting too warm IMHO.

You will probably be pleasantly surprised if you are at all worried now.

Keep cleaning out the airlock and you may be lucky. If the airlock plugs with yeast or hop matter, pressure will build up and something will give. I've had airlocks flyout, to be found several feet away and a trail of beer across the floor and ceiling. It is not pleasant cleaning beer off the ceiling.

75*

I have a siphon sized tube going from the lid to a gallon of sanitizer for blow off. Lid if domed.

75° would be ideal if you were brewing a saison with WY3724. Way to hot for a stout. Best temp would be at 64°.

You'll just have to wait it out. Give it a long time in the primary and then taste a sample.

Maybe I am being crazy but I decided to stop the warm fermentation before too much damage is done. Put it in my wash tub with cold tap water. Will bring it down to 64* and take it out.

Man, that's a shame. Your pitch temp of 61*F was golden for most ale yeasts. Allowed to come up on its own to 64*F, held there 4-6 days and then finished at 68-70*F it would have done great.

You have to wonder about who actually wrote those kit instructions.

BigFloyd, just somebody from Texas. Must have been a Cowboys fan that knew the kit was coming to an Eagles fan. haha

Could be. :D

I saw a little bit of that game last night just because my wife had it on. I'm much more of an international Rugby 7s fan myself.

Update: It's cooking along at 65*. I removed the blow off tube and checked inside. The walls are caked with junk. Replaced an airlock with fresh sanitizer and will let it sit for 2 weeks total before checking gravity.

Latest posts

Back