Feedback on Spruce IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivertranced

Reaction score
I'm looking to hop an IPA using some spruce tips from a blue spruce tree in my yard.

I'm especially looking for some feedback on the hop bill here, as I'd like to highlight the spruce aroma without overdoing it. I have cascade in here to add another dimension to the flavor.

Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.22 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 75.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs 13.3 oz Pale Malt, American (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 21.2 %
10 lbs American 2 Row Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
8.0 oz Crystal Malt - 45L (45.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.8 %
1.00 oz Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 52.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 13.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 9.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [11.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.05 pt Spruce Tips (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 5.3 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 19.98 qt of water at 159.7 F 150.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.71gal, 4.11gal) of 175.0 F water

This is only my second all grain batch (after 4 years of extract brewing), so including the full notes in case there are any other suggestions.

Cheers!

I think I read somewhere that you only want to use the new growth spruce tips. You might want to Google this to be sure. I don't know when you got your tips though.

Good point. I've read a few of the threads on spruce, and there are mixed sentiments on that. Some say only new growth, others more mature. I think I'm just going to taste and smell a few to see which I like best. My quantity on that is a shot in the dark as well.

I have also been pondering a spruce beer after drinking an incredible India Spruce Pilsner on tap up at Short's Brewery back in August. I was thinking of emailing Joe Short and asking him this very question. I'm not sure he would help us out but he certainly can't if I don't ask. I've just been lazy.

FWIW, BYO's 250 Classic Clone Recipes has a recipe for Spruce Budd Ale in there but it doesn't say when to harvest the tips. It's from Fort George Brewery in Oregon. They use spruce only and no hops. 5 oz. each at 60 min. and 0 min. and 3 oz. for dryhopping.

I always use fresh spring spruce tips. I also use a crapload (i think 24 ounces or so) in the last 20 minutes of the boil.

i've made spruce ipas three times and the best time was when i used amarillo hops.

I visited Midnight Sun Brewing Co. In Anchorage, AK. In 2010 They made "Treehugger," which is a fantastic stout using spruce tips. Perhaps they can give some advice?

http://midnightsunbrewing.com

/ I am not affiliated with them in any way :)

I always use fresh spring spruce tips. I also use a crapload (i think 24 ounces or so) in the last 20 minutes of the boil.

i've made spruce ipas three times and the best time was when i used amarillo hops.

Good to know! Have you tried with a more "piney" hop like Simcoe or Chinook?

Back